Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Reporting to the CEO, the Controller will lead a large, remotely dispersed, financial department to ensure financial results are reported in an accurate, timely and useful manner to senior management and other users. Ideally, this position will be based from our national office in Ottawa, ON but consideration will be given to candidates who can work from one of our corporate centres in either London, ON, Toronto, ON or Halifax, NS.
- Lead finance team; manage staff by coaching, developing, training individual performance.
- Produce accurate and timely financial records; reporting weekly and monthly financial results to senior management team; investigate/discuss variances from plan and prior year results.
- Ensure internal controls are firmly established and maintained; review and establish process improvement measures.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organizations fiscal function and performance.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the organization.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization; i.e., evaluation of potential alliances acquisitions and/or mergers.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Assisting the development of, and manage the reporting against, corporate-wide key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Coordinate the annual operation plan and budgets for all functions; participate in continual improvement of the budgeting process through education for management on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Manage external relationships with bankers, auditors, and insurance brokers.
- Oversee monthly closing cycle, including the review of operating results with the management team.
- Assist in the preparation of material for board of director and committee meetings, investor meetings, as necessary.
- University degree with a Professional Accounting designation.
- 10+ years of experience in a senior accounting role, preferably in not-for-profit or healthcare sector.
- Advanced computer skills with working knowledge of SAP required.
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, taxation, audit requirements, and project management techniques.
- A high level of communication, leadership, customer service, relationship management, analytical, planning and attention to detail skills.
- Strategic thinker; ability to contribute to and accomplish strategy in the context of financial results.
- Experience working in a large, complex, multi-location and multi-jurisdiction organization preferred.
||VON National Office
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||• Career advancement opportunities
• Training and skills development
• Flexible hours
• Competitive compensation
• Group benefit coverage
• Pension plan
• Annual vacation and sick leave entitlement
• Employee assistance program
• Employee recognition programs