Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Are you looking for a career where you can make a difference? As part of the VON team, you will make a positive impact on the lives of clients who need support services to help them with activities of daily living. VON is Canada’s largest, national, not-for-profit home and community care organization. We’ve been offering high-quality, innovative care and supports since 1897. Come work with us - it’s a job that matters!
||5058 - Str ME - CAS
||Group Fitness Instructor - Strathroy
|Total Hours Bi-Weekly
||Community Supports Services
A SMART Group Fitness Instructor in this exciting new program will lead approximately 2 to 4 classes per week for older adults in Retirement Homes in Strathroy, ON.
The Fitness Instructor will be guided by Regulated Healthcare Professionals associated with the program and by the certification standards of VON SMART. The incumbent will also be accountable to the Program Coordinator.
Successful candidate will be asked to upgrade his/her education as required. SFIC certification training will be provided by VON, as needed.
Opportunities for program growth and expansion to other VON sites are currently being considered, which will allow for increased employment opportunities across South Western Ontario!
- Lead weekly classes under the direction of the PT/PTA
- Work toward fulfillment of client goals as outlined on PT/PTA assessment
- Participate in on-going review of service delivery process and evaluation
- Attend any educational in-services that are deemed appropriate by PT and/or supervisor
- Adhere to VON Canada policies
- Reports any situations that are deemed uncomfortable to their supervisor/manager
- Ensures all incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and VON policies and procedures
- Reports any defect in any equipment which may endanger themselves or others
- Functions and reports in compliance with the OHS legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures
- availability of 1 to 4 hours per week is desired
Instructors should be prepared to make at least a one year commitment to VON.
- VON SMART Certification as a Group Fitness Instructor will be required
- CCAA Certification as a Seniors Fitness Instructor is an asset
- A combination of related education and experience will be considered
- Experience teaching group fitness classes for older adults
- Experience teaching specialized classes for chronic conditions i.e. Osteoporosis, Parkinson Disease, Diabetes, Osteoarthritis etc.
- Experience promoting health and well-being through physical activity
- Experience working in an assisted living environment i.e. recreation therapy
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Dependability and trustworthiness
- Compassion and Caring
- Good communication and active listening skills
- Capacity to remain calm in unexpected situations
- Independence and team work styles
- Ability to set clear boundaries
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Current criminal background check will be requested (including working with vulnerable persons)
- Pre-health assessment may be required
- First Aid/CPR certification
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.