The successful candidate will be responsible for the assessment of staff learning needs, planning, implementation and evaluation of educational and training programs for the peri-anaesthesia staff in the Post Anaesthetic Care Unit and day surgery areas. The successful candidate will foster a learning environment that promotes quality patient centered care, staff development and continuous process improvement.
· In collaboration with Perioperative Clinical Educator and surgery program leadership team, assesses staff learning and developmental needs
and participates in planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational activities (e.g. in-services, training) to address identified needs.
· Plan and participate in the orientation of all new nursing staff in PACU and day surgery areas as well as assisting with student preceptorship.
· Educate staff about changes in clinical practice and program/corporate initiatives.
· Act as a clinical role model and facilitator for clinical practice by having a visible presence in the clinical areas and creating a positive work
environment to promote learning and open communication between staff and the education team.
· Plan and facilitate the initial training and/or ongoing retention of competencies required by nursing staff working in PACU and SDC.
· Facilitate staff education on the site specific emergency code procedures and support corporate code procedures and review at a unit level.
· Support clinical educator to deliver organizational education initiatives e.g. practice changes, communication of quality care initiatives etc.
· Collaboratively develop policies and procedures based on evidence based practice which relate to and contribute to an environment that
encourages continuous learning, application of knowledge, critical thinking and application of research.
· Participate in the Quality Huddle and monitoring and evaluating outcomes related to quality patient care and process improvement activities.
· Participate with the Patient Care Manager, Clinical Educator and Clinical Leader in the evaluation of staff performance and skills
· Participate in the problem solving of emergent clinical issues.
· Current registration with the College of Nurses for Ontario
· Baccalaureate degree preferred or in progress
· Minimum 5 years peri-anaesthesia nursing experience
· Previous Critical Care experience required
· Strong teaching skills required
· Excellent leadership, assessment, interpersonal, communication and critical thinking skills
· Strong knowledge of best practices related phase 1 and 2 post-anaesthesia care
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Power Point, and Meditech
· Demonstrates commitment to learning and continuous improvement
· Ability to build effective relationships and work effectively in a team environment
· Demonstrates ability to be self directed and work independently
Internal Candidates who believe they possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position and who have been in their current position for at least six (6) months are encouraged to apply.