Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
ApplyTell A Friend
||Canada - Richmond, British Columbia
||Senior Software Engineer
||We are looking for a motivated and creative engineer to join the CTO group in Sierra Wireless. The successful candidate will be working with a company-wide design team on a new embedded application framework for M2M applications. This will involve being a part of the design team creating new APIs and implementing them for embedded Linux platforms. The candidate is expected to be a fully contributing member of the team, helping to understand customer and developer requirements, helping solve technical problems and remaining focused on the ultimate goal of creating an environment that is both easy to use and highly productive for our customers.
Members of the group are also expected to continue to further their knowledge and look for new interesting technologies that could eventually become part of the Sierra Wireless product portfolio.
- Analysis of customer and developer requirements in various M2M application areas
- Design and implementation of APIs
- Coding in C and other languages
- General software engineering e.g. configuration management, documentation, build management, troubleshooting and bug-fixing
- Interacting with engineering teams in other North American offices and in France and China
- Prototyping of new technology and product ideas
- Some travel may be required
|Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- A creative, quick-learner with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 3 years of experience in software/firmware development for constrained embedded systems
- Minimum 5 years of experience programming using C
- A strong working knowledge of multi-threaded programming and related issues
- Experience designing application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Demonstrates initiative and self-motivation
- Works well both independently and in a group
- Shows initiative and is highly self-motivated
- Exhibits strong troubleshooting skills
- Deals with differences of opinion in a respectful, constructive way.
- Experience with object oriented design.
- Ability to deal constructively with unclear or changing requirements
- 2 years of experience with embedded Linux
- Experience with automated unit test frameworks
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python and Lua
- Experience with Mandatory Access Control (App Armor and/or SE Linux) would be beneficial.
- Previous experience building secure systems on Linux
- 2 years experience with wireless networking, in general
- 2 years of experience with C++ and/or other programming languages
- Experience with home/building, e-health and/or industrial automation systems
- Familiarity with design patterns
- Previous experience working with open source projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering