Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Canada - Richmond, British Columbia
||Director, Embedded Software Development
|Company Overview & Position Purpose
||Sierra Wireless is currently looking for a Director, Embedded Software to join our Enterprise Solutions Engineering team. In this position, you will be working with the other members of the Engineering and Product Management teams responsible for ensuring Sierra Wireless Embedded Wireless Gateway/Router products are developed on time, meet customer requirements and are of high quality.
- Successfully lead the embedded software team in architecting & designing both the evolution of existing product lines as well as design our next generation of gateway & router products.
- Refine existing processes as well as establish new process for the development team.
- Selection of programming languages and operating systems.
- Selection of development tool chains.
- Work with other team members identify, monitor and remove impediments and risks
- Collect metrics data, report on project progress and any project specific information to partners and internal stakeholders
- Motivate, coach and mentor members of the development team
- Foster team communications in a multi-site development environment
- Chair design review meetings and instill software development practices that lead to stable & mission critical software products
- Set goals and objectives for direct reports
- Administer performance evaluations, plan training and career development of direct reports
- Assess, coach and develop team competencies
- Lead on-going embedded software development process improvement
|Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Hold a degree in Electrical Computer Engineering or Computer Science or a Technology Diploma with relevant industry experience
- 10+ years of experience in embedded software development using object-oriented design principles and modern operating systems such as Linux
- Experience with the design of real-time and mission critical communication products is required.
- 5+ years of management and supervision of a software development team in a complex multi-location environment
- 5+ years of hands on experience in iterative software development, continuous integration, and test driven development
- 2+ years of experience with networking centric products such as Gateways and Routers. Experience with Cellular wireless, WiFi and GPS is highly desired.
- A leader with excellent people & collaboration skills is required
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Above all, strong design skills are required in not only Embedded Software but also a system level understanding that includes the hardware domain and the practical application of communication products to real world problems.