Imagine a career with the City of Richmond
- a supportive environment for growth and continuous improvements, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. Join us as we strive to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset - our people
If you are interested in this position or any other position with the City of Richmond, click on Apply Now and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Email A Friend
||Mapping Technician 1
|Hours of Work
||Monday to Friday, 8:15 am - 5:00 pm (Compressed Work Week)
||Regular Full Time
The Mapping Technician 1 is a technical position responsible for preparing and maintaining the City’s digital base, legal and utility service maps. Key examples of work include:
- Researching, reading, interpreting and printing engineering drawings using GIS and Hansen Asset Management System.
- Inputting and editing engineering data pertaining to sanitary sewer, storm sewer, street lighting, and water assets, and interpreting survey drawings.
- Developing customize mapping, using and inputting data from a variety of sources, as well as extracting, converting and interpreting data from various sources such as Geodatabases, MS Access and Shapefiles.
- Assisting in the development and creation of databases.
- Maintaining customized scripts and programs to facilitate work and manipulate/present data into a user-friendly format.
- Maintaining databases used to track Engineering Planning activities such as Capital drawing records and timesheets.
- Performing engineering design, drafting, design reviews, cost estimation and some administration and project management for municipal designs.
- Liaising and working with internal and external customers as well as performing site visits and inspections.
- Providing GIS training when necessary to members of the Engineering Planning team.
|Education & Experience
||This position requires a one-year GIS diploma supplemented by one to two years of related experience in Municipal Mapping or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
|Knowledge & Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of industry mapping standards, requirements and principles.
- Knowledge of computer assisted mapping techniques including ESRI suite of Arc products including ArcInfo, ArcEditor, ArcView.
- Experience using database software such as MS Access or ArcSDE.
- Experience in municipal engineering design principles, drafting techniques and procedure.
- Experience using Autodesk AutoCAD
- Ability to comprehend new techniques, procedures and adapt them to meet project requirements.
- Ability to research and assemble required information and data from a variety of sources and records.
- Ability to complete multiple projects simultaneously and assign tasks to colleagues.
- Ability to establish and maintain skills related to GIS development including hardware, software and extensions through education and hands-on experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, associates, developers, consultants and the general public.
- Experience with Hansen Asset Management software is preferred.
- Experience with coordinate geometry and survey computations.
|Working Conditions and Effort
||Work is performed in an office environment with some site visits. Work requires intense visual effort reading, editing and creating maps and plans and working at a computer terminal.
||CUPE - Local 718
||Engineering & Public Works
|External Closing Date
|PS Pay Band
||Pay Band 08
||$25.98 - $30.53 (2011 Rates)
The City of Richmond wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this career opportunity; however, only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work applicable to this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The City of Richmond is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage all qualified individuals to apply, however, our positions are restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.