Imagine a career with the City of Richmond
- a supportive environment for growth and continuous improvements, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. Join us as we strive to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset - our people
If you are interested in this position or any other position with the City of Richmond, click on Apply Now and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Email A Friend
|Hours of Work
||Monday to Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Compressed Work Week)
||Regular Full Time
The Manager, Budgets has overall responsibility and leadership of the City’s budgeting and financial planning. This position is also responsible for managing and controlling the City’s revenues and expenditures within approved budgets. Examples of key work activities include:
- Provide strategic leadership in terms of information, records and reports to the management team and Council, and will provide analysis, review and input on contracts and agreements at the corporate level.
- Responsible for liaising with all organizations that deal with the City, taxpayers, and Council. In addition, the Manager must liaise with other functional/departmental managers in order to understand all necessary aspects and needs of operational development.
- Oversee the City’s budgets, finances, financial reporting, structure and financial planning, ensuring that they are consistent with the City’s financial plan, objectives and statutory, regulatory and legal requirements. Monitor the financial operations of the City to ensure compliance with bylaws.
- Oversee the preparation of required financial reports as well as financial and related reports to the Director of Finance, General Manager of Business and Financial Services.
- Provide analysis, review and strategic input on contracts and agreements, corporate level negotiations (e.g. leases, acquisitions, disposals), major supplier/customer/partner relationships, regulatory bodies relationships and investments.
- Participate in planning the objectives, methods and resources of short and long range financial operations of the City, monitor and report on overall City’s financial performance.
- Manage and oversee the City’s capital and infrastructure process and programs ensuring projects are in line with the City’s goals and objectives and adequate financing exists. Compliance with external and statutory reporting and audit requirements, preparation of the City's annual budgets and Five Year Financial Plan.
- Will oversee and establish metrics, benchmarks and develop financial processes in order to assist management and City staff in measurement and tracking progress.
- Will provide leadership skills, technical knowledge and situational knowledge to assist in the training and development of the Budgets & Accounting staff. As a subject matter expert, the Manager is also expected to provide leadership skills and training to City staff in all financial and budget matters.
- Responsible for mentoring, training, recruitment and selection of staff.
|Education & Experience
||A Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, or CMA) is required along with a minimum of 7 years, post designation, related experience.
|Knowledge & Skills & Abilities
- Controllership experience, knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections. Working knowledge of budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and analysis.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames and simultaneously manages several projects.
- Ability to facilitate group meetings.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills especially in a public forum with the ability to overcome unexpected situations and provide sensible decisions in those situations. Ability to speak knowledgeably on the subject matter.
- Experience and in depth knowledge of all aspects of corporate accounting and financial management required.
- Advanced utilization of spreadsheet software.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Analytical and conceptual thinking skills, strong decision making.
- Familiarity with municipal government processes and procedures in a financial environment would be an asset.
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal record check.
|Working Conditions and Effort
||Duties are performed in an office environment.
||Financial Planning & Analysis
||Finance & Corporate Services
|External Closing Date
||$97,862 - $122,327 (Annual salary)
The City of Richmond wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this career opportunity; however, only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work applicable to this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The City of Richmond is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage all qualified individuals to apply, however, our positions are restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.