Imagine a career with the City of Richmond
- a supportive environment for growth and continuous improvements, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. Join us as we strive to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset - our people
If you are interested in this position or any other position with the City of Richmond, click on Apply Now and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Email A Friend
||Program Coordinator, Development (Re-post)
|Hours of Work
||Monday to Friday, 8:15am to 5:00pm (Compressed Work Week).
||Regular Full Time
||Reporting to the Director of Development, the Program Coordinator, Development is a management level professional planning position that involves considerable independent judgement in the administration of the day-to-day activities of the current planning section. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in leading complex planning projects through the development application process. The successful candidate must be able to effectively supervise and mentor planning staff, liaise with other City Divisions and stakeholder groups. Examples of key work activities include:
- Provide professional planning expertise on complex development applications, including negotiations with developers and other professionals on the coordination of detailed development requirements and bylaws in a responsive manner.
- Coordinate and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal/external professional and community stakeholders.
- Senior Zoning administration, including providing Zoning Bylaw interpretation and acting as a liaison with other City departments that regularly interpret the zoning bylaw to ensure consistent bylaw management and distribution of information to the general public.
- Act as one of the City’s Subdivision Approving Officers.
- Provide support by administering and reviewing policies and procedures for Development Application processing.
- Investigate and resolve problems related to development application processing, including policy development and research.
- Completion of Special Projects as needed to effectively carry out the functions of the Development Applications Department, including preparation and administration of regulations, policies and strategic work initiatives.
- Supervision and coaching of professional planning staff and administrative support staff.
- Responsible for providing technical guidance on development application processing including procedural requirements/information and development regulations.
- Review planning staff reports to Council and Committee.
- Act for the Director of Development in his absence, including attendance at Public Hearings, Council meetings and Committee meetings.
- Undertake detailed Planning studies, and prepare reports on a wide variety of development issues, policies, and matters relating to the Department functions.
|Education & Experience
- The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in municipal planning, and possess superior communication skills, and a sound knowledge of municipal planning regulations, policies, and administrative procedures. A degree in Planning or Architecture, at a Master’s level supplemented by a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of related education and experience is required.
- The successful candidate should be eligible for membership in the Planning Institute of BC.
|Knowledge & Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and experience in administering the Zoning Bylaw, preparing bylaw amendments and implementing legal requirements.
- Knowledge of planning policy and ability to undertake detailed professional policy studies in a timely manner.
- Ability to work closely with all City divisions, departments, external agencies, the development community and the public in carrying out the functions of the Department.
- Ability to participate in strategic planning initiatives in meeting the City’s corporate vision to be the most appealing, liveable, and well-managed community in Canada.
- Skilled in analysis and the preparation of written or verbal reports and presentations.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and Outlook and REDMS or a similar Records/Document Management System.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively; work well under pressure; with professionalism.
|Licences & Certificates & Registrations
- A valid Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
- Knowledge of urban design principles is a definite asset.
- Experience in a municipal setting, and more specifically in development application processing, is preferred.
|Working Conditions and Effort
- Work is performed in an office environment.
||Planning & Development
|External Closing Date
|PS Pay Band
||$91,210 to $114,012 (Annual Salary)
The City of Richmond wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this career opportunity; however, only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work applicable to this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The City of Richmond is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage all qualified individuals to apply, however, our positions are restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.