Imagine a career with the City of Richmond
- a supportive environment for growth and continuous improvements, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. Join us as we strive to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset - our people
If you are interested in this position or any other position with the City of Richmond, click on Apply Now and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Email A Friend
||Manager, Financial Systems
|Hours of Work
||Monday to Friday, 8:15am to 5:00pm (Compressed Work Week).
||Regular Full Time
The Manager, Financial Systems, will be responsible for evaluating the internal controls of business processes and provides recommendations on improving the control environment and increasing operational efficiencies. The Manager will work closely with the Information Technology division and be required to review highly complex and unique problems and provide solutions that include defining, designing and creating processes and mapping out systems that strengthen internal controls. Examples of key work activities include:
- Provide guidance and direction to City staff and will ensure that business processes are properly developed and will lead the Business & Financial Services department and the IT division on any financial software systems.
- The Manager is a project leader and will define key issues, project scope and required resources.
- Provide information and advice to Council on issues including: system enhancements, process changes or addressing management letters concerning control weaknesses.
- Responsible for making financial information related decisions on the City’s system implementations and upgrades, including the leadership and direction with systems integration, reporting requirements, implementation of internal controls and documentation, developing improvements, and ensuring consistent business process across the organization.
- Reviews and defines processes policies and operations through research and interviews with City staff to critically analyze current business processes and review risk assessment on the inherent risks /control risks in order to mitigate any risks including fraud.
- Provides direction and advice to the City on business processes that consider internal controls and operational efficiencies. Gives direction to information technology on mapping of processes, implementation and configuration of systems in order to achieve objectives.
- Provide recommendations on improving the control environment and increasing operational efficiencies. Provide input on any value for money audits.
- Develop and implement processes with effective cost savings, standardization and increased internal control opportunities to align with the City’s overall strategy and vision.
- Consult on business process improvements and transfer knowledge to stakeholders through documentations, flowcharts, system overviews, guidelines, procedures and training.
- Provides coaching, functional direction and leadership as required.
- Identifies problems on complex business or technical issues, conducts feasibility analysis, implements complex enterprise applications and identifies enterprise systems solution requirements.
|Education & Experience
||Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, or CMA). Undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems or equivalent experience is preferable. A minimum of 10 years, post designation, related experience inclusive of the following: Generally accepted accounting principles, public sector accounting, generally accepted auditing standards and financial controls. Five or more years of experience in functional implementations and/or upgrades including financial systems set up, implementation and roll out. Minimum of 5 years and familiarity with municipal government processes and procedures in a financial environment is preferable.
|Knowledge & Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of project management exhibiting high level organizational and time management skills.
- Experience with budgeting and management of financial functions.
- Knowledge of value for money concepts.
- Expert knowledge of and experience in automated financial accounting systems, process mapping techniques, project methodology and tools.
- Working knowledge of and in-depth experience in accounting, auditing and internal control principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze information, anticipate and recognize problems and opportunities create and evaluate alternatives, engage in continuous assessment and improvement to develop solutions, and make appropriate decisions regarding processes, while exercising financial prudence, confidentiality and discretion.
- Project leader that must work in cross functional teams and present complex analysis with clarity and professionalism.
- Analytical and conceptual thinking skills, strong decision making.
- Experience and ability in leading transformation and change management.
- Strong leadership, coaching and training on technical content and background of knowledge, financial controls, best practices and other analytical tools and techniques that can positively influence and develop staff.
- Knowledge of Oracle, PeopleSoft, Tempest, Hansen, HCM systems and functionality.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills in order to write reports and present to various committees and council.
- Responsible for the design and implementation of workshops, reports, monitoring and follow up on system upgrades and policies to meet the need of financial information users, re-engineer/improve business processes as a result of system upgrades and implementations.
- Ability to successfully pass a Criminal Record Check for the Financial Sector.
|Working Conditions and Effort
- Work is performed in an office environment. Overtime and non-standard work hours will be required.
||Finance & Corporate Services
|External Closing Date
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule.
The City of Richmond wishes to thank all applicants for their interest in this career opportunity; however, only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work applicable to this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
The City of Richmond is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage all qualified individuals to apply, however, our positions are restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.