Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Shift Care Coordinator (RN)
||Dufferin Care Centre (DCC)
||Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
||Full Time Regular
||A managerial position responsible to the General Manager (GM) and/or Director of Care (DOC) is accountable for directing care staff to maintain high quality resident care. Clinical responsibilities include the assessment of nursing care, collaborative planning and implementation of programs to meet resident needs, and participation in coordinating ongoing care staff management and education at the facility. The Shift Care Coordinator ensures care staff provide high quality resident care and acts as a professional role model for all staff. An ability to communicate effectively with staff, residents and their families, is essential.
1. Participates with the management team in defining goals for resident care.
2. Recruits and hires qualified nursing staff in consultation with the GM and DOC and arranges orientation to their responsibilities.
3. Provides direction and support to care staff in their daily physical, psychological and social care of residents.
4. Assists in arranging in-service and educational sessions to provide for increased learning and skill development.
5. Evaluates staff performance and makes recommendations for improvement where indicated.
6. Meets with nursing staff at regular intervals and encourages their participation in assessment, planning and evaluation of resident care and other activities to fulfill department goals.
7. Disciplines and terminates staff in collaboration with the DOC/GM and corporate HR; following facility policies and procedures.
8. Collaborates in the coordination of admissions and discharge of residents with all stakeholders.
9. Coordinates resident care with families, other departments, other care services and agencies. Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors and volunteers.
10. Maintains a safe environment for clients/family unit and staff, through:
(a) accident prevention,
(b) knowledge of emergency procedures and regulations,
(c) using skills, physical facilities, supplies and equipment safely and appropriately, and
(d) utilizing infection control procedures.
11. Maintains and audits programs related to risk management (e.g. Infection Control, Medication Safety Committee, Medical Advisory Committee, Staff Safety Committee). Monitors all resident care indicators through the Care Management software program.
12. Monitors adherence to all applicable legislation and regulations.
13. Acts on behalf of the Director of Care in the absence of the Director of Care.
14. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that each individual is capable of, to varying degrees; making decisions about his/her life and is a partner in the decision making.
15. Acts as the lead on designated unit/neighborhood.
16. Administers medications and treatments as per established standards, regulations, policies and procedures.
17. Provides direct care to residents as necessary to ensure quality resident focused care.
18. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained as per policy and procedures. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to GM and/or DOC.
19. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures and communicates all new/revised polices to staff.
20. Other miscellaneous tasks as required.
||1. Current registration with the CRNBC, progressive nursing experience and education, in which leadership and administrative skills have been demonstrated.
2. Minimum of three years work experience in geriatrics.