Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Full Time Regular
||Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer and working closely with the senior executive and management team, Senior Counsel will act as the company’s primary advisor, director and coordinator in respect of all its legal matters. Senior Counsel will be the company’s top legal advisor to protect and advance the business interests of the group. The company will rely on its Senior Counsel for its substantive legal matters with an aim to reduce its dependence on external counsel.
||1. Acquisitions and Divestitures – working directly with external counsel and the executive in executing the company’s transactions from due diligence to closing.
a. Ensuring compliance and optimal risk management in all deals.
b. Coordinating accurate, timely flow of document production among all parties.
c. Developing legal and tax structures for new acquisitions and partnerships with internal and external advisors.
d. Participating in legal debriefing sessions with accounting management and other interested parties following acquisitions, dispositions or new projects.
2. Contracts – negotiating and drafting a variety of standard contracts and agreements, including leasing, procurement, services and management agreements, and managing use of outside counsel with a view of minimizing legal costs and increasing the efficiency and use of in-house resources and technology.
a. Creating, organizing and managing a precedent system for the company’s contracts.
b. Set up of document templates, preparing standard documents.
3. Operations – acting as a legal resource to the company’s VP of Operations and Operations Managers.
a. Advising the company’s various operational units and senior management on day to day legal matters in respect of its businesses including care homes, commercial, retail and residential properties.
4. Corporate Secretary – managing, preparing and coordinating annual filings, legal agreements and corporate records, ensuring that the company is aware of its legal rights and obligations and ensuring compliance with them at all times.
a. Supervision of support staff and management of legal archives.
5. HR Matters – providing legal support regarding employment contracts; independent contractor and consultant agreements; recruitment agency agreements; etc.
6. Litigation – working in concert with external counsel to manage all of the company’s litigation and disputes.
7. Tax – working in concert with external counsel to manage and lead all of the company’s corporate tax matters and shareholders’ tax concerns.
8. Intellectual Property –general management of the company’s trademarks and other intellectual property.
9. Other Matters – where appropriate, assisting shareholders with their personal legal matters.
||1. Three to six years of broad corporate/commercial solicitor experience at a top tier firm, preferably with extensive exposure to M&A, real estate, and financing matters.
2. Membership with the Law Society of British Columbia.
3. In-house and corporate secretary experience an asset.
4. Experience working with and supporting senior and executive level staff.
5. Solid written and verbal communication skills. An ability to explain complex legal issues in simple and succinct terms.
6. Strong judgment and attention to detail.
7. Ability to manage, assess and address priorities and to deal with confidential and sensitive issues.
8. Initiative and ability to work independently with minimal direction.
9. Must have highly effective general management skills in a teamwork environment with members of various skill levels and areas of expertise.
10. Must represent the company both internally and externally in a highly professional manner and always be striving to enhance the reputation and business opportunities of the company.
11. Ability to direct and focus external counsel to achieve the company’s business objectives and resolve disputes.
12. Must be flexible and enjoy the challenges of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
13. Ability to create systems to better organize the legal affairs of the company.