Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Construction Estimator (Updated 11 13)
||Retirement Concepts Development (RCD)
||Full Time Regular
||Reporting to and under direction of the President, Retirement Concepts Development (‘RCD’), the Construction Estimator is responsible for the carrying out and continually improving on an effective, accurate Construction Estimating and accurate costing program that adheres to the company’s policies, practices and standards.
The position also requires the ability to coordinate and oversee a general contractor or multiple trades performing improvements on one or multiple projects. Key objectives include (but are not limited to) the effective management of all aspects of the position responsibilities with a minimum of supervision, as well as any additional responsibilities as required and on a project-to -project basis.
||1. Prepare quantity take-offs from construction drawing which may be used for estimating
2. Supply generalized costing to design in development
3. Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment
4. Knowledge of building codes and electrical, or plumbing, or mechanical and related codes
5. In depth understanding of CCDC-17 contracts and the rights of both owners and trade contractors
6. Advise on tendering supplier quotations, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
7. Review the progress of the project as necessary with the Project Manager, and to take all corrective and remedial actions with the GC or trades in a prompt and effective manner
8. Review and administer bills of materials in an effective and accurate manner in order to ensure the timely payment of invoices to ensure that all work on site is performed via either an existing contract, change order or site purchase order, prior to the commencement of the work.
9. Submit change report documentation to be approved by Manager, Construction
10. Establish and maintain tendering contract process
11. Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
12. In collaboration with internal partners, liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors
13. Review documents and establish the scope of work requirements for trade packages
14. Manage and co-ordinate construction projects and prepare construction commitments
15. Review monthly packages/invoices.
||1. Minimum of 5 to 10 years working in the construction industry in a similar role (at least 5 years must be in an estimating-specific role)
2. Preference will be given to those applicants with (or are pursuing) the CCA Gold Seal in Project Management and/or Construction Estimating
3. Bachelors or Diploma in Construction, Building Technology, Project Management, Engineering or Architecture preferred or
4. In lieu of education, a minimum of 10 years direct building experience and project estimating training required
5. Advanced Timberline ‘Estimating’ and Timberline ‘Project Management’ skills required
6. Advanced MS Excel and MS Project skills required
7. Analytical abilities a must
8. A sound understanding and technical foundation in various building types, traditional subcontractor work scopes, construction systems and methods, construction specifications, tendering practices and contract types
9. Experience and knowledge of more than one discipline in construction management or design/build.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
10. A self-starter and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
11. Highly proficient communicator (both verbal/written). A
12. Ability to physically traverse uneven ground, climb ladders and stairs, and stand for extended periods of time.
13. Possess demonstrable problem solving and organizational skills.
14. Strong multitasking abilities.
15. Familiarity with safety documentation.