Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Comox Valley Seniors Village
||Full Time Regular
||Reporting to the General Manager, the Manager, Recreation is accountable for all aspects of the Recreation Department. The Manager, Recreation assesses each resident’s recreational and social needs and plans, develops, implements, evaluates and works to meet those needs. In addition, the Manager, Recreation supervises all recreation staff, develops and manages the Recreation Department budget, acts as a professional role model for staff as a part of the management team and promotes the recreation department within the facility and the community at large.
Human Resources Management
- Responsible for recruitment, discipline and termination of Recreation department employees and Services such as Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy.
- Resolves Union grievances as they arise and/or works with union representative/steward to communicate effectively the Collective agreement articles, Employee Handbook and Retirement Concepts policies, thereby minimizing employee conflict and concerns.
- Provides ongoing probationary and annual performance evaluations for all departmental employees.
- Ensures performance issues of recreation staff, students and volunteers are resolved to meet service standards and commitments.
- Coordinates student placement programs within the recreation department and completes any documentation of such programs.
- Manages all Recreation staff including the development of their schedules, coordinating work assignments and dealing with employee issues as they arise.
- On a regular basis attends in-service and education sessions to continually upgrade professional skills.
- Acts as a contributing member of the management Team.
- Develops and coordinates recreation programs that meet the emotional, psychological, physical, social and spiritual needs of the residents, including the hands-on delivery of recreational programs to the residents.
- Reports and documents in the Interdisciplinary Resident Progress Record relevant observations concerning resident behaviour and communicates these observations to other members of the care team.
- Acts as the facility liaison for the Resident Council. Coordinates support for the Resident Council as necessary.
- Oversees the volunteer program at the facility including the recruitment, training, placement and recognition of all volunteers.
- Liaisons with community agencies, groups and individuals to augment programs and promote the facility within the community.
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of the Recreation Department budget, both operating and capital.
- Oversees the orientation and training of all new Recreation staff.
- Oversees and updates standards, procedures and Recreation records in order to maintain an organized and efficient department.
- Ensures the ongoing maintenance of all recreation equipment and supplies and provides documentation of the same.
- Develops and distributes a monthly recreation program calendar to all residents.
- Chairs regular facility-wide staff meetings. Acts as Management representative on Safety Committee and other committee’s.
- Organizes and coordinates transportation to and from the facility for outside events, shopping trips, etc.
- Maintains a current knowledge of Administrative and emergency policies and procedures and participates in fire evacuations drills.
Completes and submits Departmental month end reports and works with the General Manager to use the information in the reports to compliment the operation of the Recreation Department.
- Graduation from a recognized Therapeutic Recreation Program, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years management experience in a residential geriatric setting.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate programs and organize recreational activities.
- Current Basic CPR qualifications.
- Current class 4 BC Drivers License.
- Good physical and emotional health with capabilities that is compatible with walking, stooping, bending, lifting heavy objects and pushing heavy carts. Must be free from any allergies or related conditions that may be aggravated by working with pets.
- Ability to communicate and establish harmonious relationships with residents, families, volunteers, and visitors of the facility.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills and experience.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.