Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Accounting Manager-Payroll & Benefits
||Head Office (HO)
||Facility Management [General Managers][Departmental Managers]
||Full Time Regular
||Reporting to the Corporate Controller:
• Responsible for managing the Payroll Team with direct reporting line from the Payroll Manager.
• Ultimately responsible for oversight of payroll processing for all facilities including employee payments/deductions, statutory and government remittances, and benefits administration.
• Design, implementation, and maintenance of payroll processes and benefits administration/reconciliation to achieve improved control and accuracy in the payroll function
• Ensure that the ADP/General Ledger interface is accurate and processed to meet all reporting deadlines
• Ensure that all ADP accruals and payments balance with the General Ledger
• Analyze wages to budget variances at month end and work with Facility Analyst to complete Senior Management reporting.
||• Monitor and/or develop & implement payroll and benefits procedures to meet internal and external audit requirements
• Monitor systems and methods, recommending and implementing necessary changes to improve efficiency of the payroll and benefits function
• Oversee and ensure the accurate processing of payroll for 3000+ employees across multiple locations and with multiple unions in collaboration with the Payroll Manager
• Develop and provide payroll and accounting related training to staff in collaboration with the Payroll Manager
• Develop and monitor goals, objectives and performance measures for the payroll and benefits group
• Liaise with Sr. Management and departmental Managers to resolve payroll and benefits issues
• Monitor and ensure that benefit programs are properly administered and reconciled on a monthly basis
• Comply with federal, and provincial requirements by studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions
• Work closely with the Director of Human Resources to maintain relationships with benefit providers and advisors to resolve benefit issues, review annual contract renewals
• Develop sufficient knowledge of all union contracts to proactively implement date-specific changes to employee compensation and benefits. This includes payroll processing of these changes, as well as calculating resulting retroactive pay increases
• Ensure any changes resulting from new or re-negotiated contracts are accurately reflected in Pay@work and People@work
• Design, implement and maintain quality control processes for payroll and benefits processing, reasonability reports, as well as a quality control process to ensure the recording of specific employees/hours by the facility is accurate
• Maintain a neat, organized work area including a comprehensive file system that ensures confidentiality of employee data
• Training and development of administrative staff at the facilities as required ensuring accurate recording of pay and benefits data
• Ensure accuracy of payroll information in the General Ledger
• Maintain excellent and external relationships to ensure understanding and adherence to Payroll/HR/Finance policies and the efficiency regarding payroll processes are continually updated and compliant with appropriate legislation.
• Satisfied employees and facilities Administrators indicating that payments have been processed correctly
• Quick and accurate responses to questions raised by facilities or other head office staff.
• Proficiency in ADP and ability to develop and adapt reports as required.
||• 7 to 10 years of payroll experience with a minimum of 5 years in a management position
• PCP or CPM certification from the Canadian Payroll Association
• Designated CA, CGA, CMA or in the process of qualifying
• Must have payroll experience in a unionized environment
• Excellent knowledge of ADP People/Pay@Work, EZ Labor, ADP Report Writer
• Strong organizational, problem solving, decision making and communication skills
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook;
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills
• Strong Payroll/HR systems knowledge and capability of leading process improvement initiatives
• Exceptional capability of meeting deadlines and prioritizing workloads
• Must have experience in a multi-entity payroll environment
• Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
• Must have system implementation experience
• Great Plains experience an asset.