Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Licensed Practical Nurse
||Millrise Seniors Village / Millrise Place (MLSV)
||Clinical Support [Registered Nurses][Licensed Practical Nurses][Registered Care Aides][Recreational Therapists]
||SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) works as a member of a healthcare team under the
direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse, or the Director of Care. The LPN
performs duties in accordance with the competencies of the CLPNA . An employee of
this class is required to perform personal care and therapeutic services in keeping with the
residents assessed needs, established care plan, policies and procedures of the Assisted
• Support the Vision, Mission Statement, Core Values of the Company.
• Adheres to all policies, procedures, and regulations of the Organizations and its partners.
• Understands and adheres to municipal, provincial, and federal laws/regulations as they pertain to the Organizations delivery of Care, (PPIC, FOIPP, HIA, PHA)
• Performs a variety of nursing duties, including administering medications;
• Collecting and reporting on urine specimens, glucose testing, changing dressings,
• Respiratory therapy equipment, urinary/catheter care, ostomy care, giving injections, taking and recording vital signs etc. to within full scope of practice.
• Communicates with pharmacists as required regarding residents and medications.
• Responds promptly to urgent situations and effectively uses EMS.
• Contacts family in regards to changes in Resident status, concerns, and/or transfer to hospital in a timely manner.
• Advises Site RN of any changes in resident status.
• Assesses resident status and takes action as required.
• Notifies On-call RN if needing direction or advice regarding resident status
• Maintains records related to nursing care for all residents.
• Safely following medication policies and procedures, including pre-admission orders, new medication orders, administering medications, processing orders, receiving medications, daily narcotic counts, weekly medications checks, faxing orders and re-orders.
• Maintains lists for necessary stocks of medications and nursing supplies.
• Supervises Health Care Aides in administration of their duties; demonstrates safe and positive work practices in the leadership role.
• Delegates tasks/assignments to HCAs as per the HCA competencies.
• Instructs HCAs in proper procedures for providing care. Advises RN of any concerns related to HCAs delivery of care.
• Refers all concerns/complaints/grievances about HCAs role performance to Delegated Management.
• Handles day-to-day problems of residents requiring immediate attention and discusses unusual or complex problems with the Site RN.
• Involvement with therapeutic interventions for behaviour management
• Understands guidelines and importance of safe food handling
• Understands implications of special diet and follows diet restrictions
• Assists client with diabetic monitoring
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Company from time to time.
• Graduated from a recognized school of nursing.
• Must possess current license with CLPNA on a yearly basis and provide proof of same to employer each year.
• Must have current CPR training and provide proof to employer.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Observes and reports on client condition.
• Demonstrates knowledge of legislation governing the work and employment of health care aides.
• Maintains confidentiality and privacy of information regarding residents and staff.
• Demonstrates respect, patience, flexibility, and enthusiasm while meeting the needs of the residents.
• Demonstrates respectful communication with family members, visitors, general public and fellow staff members.
• Functions effectively as a team member.
• Demonstrates an ability to work collaboratively & effectively with staff from all departments in meeting resident needs.
• Documents all daily charting and reports as required before shift end.
• Reports and documents unusual or at risk incidents to the appropriate personnel.
• Assists with maintaining adequate amount of resident personal care supplies.
• Collects and labels specimens as directed.
• Assists in the orientation of new staff.
• Attends, participates in and completes all mandatory in-services.
• Identifies gaps in own knowledge and seeks educational direction from the Educator.
• Participates in facility based and off site educational opportunities and in-services.
• Promotes resident participation in and assists with social and lifestyles' activities.
• Reports complaints by residents and families to supervisor.
• Demonstrates hospitality by extending a greeting and offer of assistance to visitors.
• Demonstrates accurate knowledge and use of resident's Nurse Call System (Tunstall and Spectra Link Phone). Answers any & all resident calls promptly.
• Responsible for the orientation of new residents family to room, phone (Tunstall and Delphi) and facility.
• Is actively involved in maintaining safe, clean environment for resident & staff.
• In event that a resident is incontinent of stool or urine, cleans the resident and the area as indicted. Is responsible for cleaning in these situations when cleaning staff not on duty.
• Promotes a respectful workplace environment in word and action at all times.
• Performs related work as required.
• Certificate in appropriate discipline required including related training and experience.