Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Cook (Full-Time & Part-Time)
||Summerland Seniors Village (SSV)
||Facility Support Services [Dietary Aides / Servers][Cooks / Chefs][Support Service Workers][Maintenance]
||Full Time Regular
||Under the direction of the Food Service Manager/Coordinator, Chef or Lead Cook, the Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of meals from an assigned menu, ensures safe food handling methods are followed, maintenance of a safe & sanitary workplace, inventory control and supervision of staff.
||1. Responsible for the production of menu items including preparation of menu items as per the approved menus, production using standardized recipes and service ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
2. Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and storage of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs regularly required audits and corrective action as necessary.
3. Coordinates the work flow and provides direction to Cooks and other designated staff related to the production, delivery and clean up of meals for assigned area.
4. Performs ordering and receiving of consumables items according to established purchasing procedures and polices. Maintains consumable inventory utilizing methods to minimize spoilage and waste.
5. Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the Facility.
6. Assists the Food Services Manager or Lead Cook in organizational planning related to Food Services by providing input and participating in the implementation of menus, schedules and other initiatives to ensure a high standard of Food Services.
7. Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
8. In the absence of the Food Services Manager or Lead Cook, is responsible for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
9. From time to time, in unusual circumstances the employee may be asked to perform other related duties.
||1. Grade 12; or equivalent.
2. Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Culinary or Apprenticeship program preferred.
3. Minimum of 3-4 years culinary experience in hotels, restaurants or institutions required.
4. Food Safe Certificate - Level 2 preferred.
5. Serving it Right certification an asset.
6. Extensive knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machines.
7. Supervisory experience is required.
8. Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards.
9. An aptitude toward detail and creativity.
10. Demonstrate good planning and organizational skills and ability to delegate.
11. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment.
12. Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents.
13. Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
14. Ability to read and write the English language in order to function appropriately within a kitchen environment (recipes, food audits, etc).
15. Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
16. Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents.
17. Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
18. Sufficient manual dexterity of and in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
19. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry 50 lbs repetitively.