Powertech, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving electrical, oil and gas industry, and automotive and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. It operates as a separate, un-regulated, for profit, commercial entity. In addition to providing technical and technology services to BC Hydro, Powertech serves a large number of clients in energy-related sectors across North America, Asia, Europe, and South America and beyond. Powertech is located on an 11 acre, 21-lab campus in Surrey and has approximately 140 employees. Powertech’s reach and reputation is global and it is recognized as a leader in technology and testing. In particular, the Powertech brand & reputation commands a dominant position in North America.
The company's staff of professional engineers, scientists, and technologists offers a range of forward looking technology services to help clients solve complex problems, maximizing asset performance. The broad services on offer include Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology, Applied Materials, Inspections and Asset Management, Applied Chemistry, Software Technology, Power System Studies, Energy Systems, Smart Utility and Hydrogen Gas Stations and Engineering.
Focus primarily on the evolving smart-grid and the industry’s increasing need for communication and automation, Powertech’ s Smart Utilities Lab operates as an independent commercial testing facility that supports large-and-small-scale utilities, electricity utility vendors and telecommunication original equipment manufacturers that require network design, interoperability testing and pre-deployment validation to support telecommunication systems, distribution automation and controls.
The Smart Utility Lab has the testing capabilities to create current and future utility environments, including telecom and network infrastructure, management and operating systems, relays and physical devices for interoperability, as well as integrated and non-integrated system performance testing. It represents a model of a modern distribution management system with state-of-the-art grid control and monitoring capabilities including variable and interchangeable loads, sources, protection, and communications.
To support growth and expansion we have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Telecom/Wireless Engineer to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey B.C.
||Telecom Engineer / Smart Utilities Lab
||The Telecom Engineer will work in the Smart Utility Lab, evaluating and testing the use of wireless and wireline technologies for utility and industrial clients. He or she will be expected to play a major part in contributing to the success of the lab by demonstrating an innovative approach to finding solutions to industrial and utility communications problems.
- Evaluate Broadband and 4G wireless equipment for utility applications by:
- Reviewing equipment specifications and documentation
- Liaising with the equipment vendors and industry contacts on the equipment capabilities and requirements
- Defining utility orientated use cases for the equipment
- Drafting test plans
- Performing interoperability tests.
- Testing equipment both in and outside of the lab.
- Reporting test results and conclusions.
- Evaluate and configure test equipment.
- Determine the suitability (both technical and economic) of the equipment.
- Participate in SUL setup and requirements, based on the equipment test requirement and future infrastructure needs.
- Participate in the following areas:
- Establish the lab as a telecom equipment test centre for utility applications
- Verify the suitability of wireless equipment for Smart Grid use cases
- Carry out interoperability tests.
- Generate collateral material to market the lab facility, such as white papers and reports.
- Attract external clients to the lab – business development
- Provide consultancy services to both BC Hydro and external clients by:
- Advising on the suitability of wireless equipment for utility applications
- Advising and providing specification of wireless equipment for utility applications.
- Participate in industry groups to both maintain contacts with the industry and market the facilities of the lab.
- Engineering Degree recognized by universities in Canada required.
- 8 years related experience required in Telecommunications, Distribution Automation, Protection and Control, Cisco Networks, Smart Grid, RF. Applicants with less experience may be considered.
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer or Engineer in Training with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C.
- Experience interpreting and adhering to test standards.
- Telecom SME.
- Good working knowledge of wireless technology from a vendor and operator perspective.
- Ability to generate industry standard documents to enable equipment vendors to develop equipment that meets the requirements of Smart Grid industry.
- Ability to generate certification and interoperability documentation.
- Maintain close relationships with the WiMAX and 4G industry vendors and operators.
- Demonstrated rigor in modeling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent decision making and problem solving capabilities.
- Good aptitude for marketing and building client contacts.
- Ability to lead and motivate team members.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions.
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks.
- Focus on quality at all project stages.
- Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure.
- Strong multitasking, organizational, and project management skills.
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received we will only contact you if you have been shortlisted for further consideration.