Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply Now! and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Powertech, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in clean energy consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving electrical, oil and gas companies, and automotive and electrical equipment manufacturers since 1989. It operates as a separate, for profit, commercial entity. In addition to providing technical and technology services to BC Hydro, Powertech serves a large number of clients in energy-related sectors across North America, Asia, Europe, and South America and beyond. Powertech is located on an 11 acre, 21-lab campus in Surrey and has approximately 140 employees. Powertech’s reach and reputation is global and it is recognized as a leader in technology and testing. In particular, Powertech commands a dominant position in North America.
The company's staff of professional engineers, scientists, and technologists offers a range of forward looking technology services to help clients solve complex problems, maximizing asset performance.
We are currently recruiting for Electrical Testing Technologists for our High Power Lab, High Voltage & Cables Technologies Department as well as a Rotational role and encourage all applicants with specialized skills in any of these areas to apply.
||British Columbia [BC]
||Electrical Testing Technologist 1- Power Labs
Performs testing, research and analysis on a variety of electrical equipment. Develops and prepares technical reports from analytical conclusions. Liaises with others outside Powertech to develop business for the lab.
1. Undertakes testing and applied research using various tests and analysis on a variety of electrical equipment; develops modified and novel testing or analysis procedures for new or unusual materials and equipment or unusual problems.
2. Develops and writes technical reports incorporating conclusions based on test and analysis results; develops and writes instructions for safe use and handling of equipment and materials.
3. Develops, researches, analyzes and tests new materials for recommendation or rejection to Powertech clients.
4. Troubleshoots, repairs and calibrates a wide variety of electronic/electrical test equipment, related mechanical components, micro-processor based equipment, digital/analog and chemical analyzers.
5. Liaises with clients, potential clients and others in the industry to develop business for the lab; discuses and explains costs and time involved in test procedures.
6. May be required to provide work leadership/technical direction to employees in lower level technical positions. 7. May be required to perform all the functions within the Technician job stream.
8. Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job. This includes the performance of duties across disciplines in a job of the same or lower job group.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Excellent working knowledge of analysis and testing procedures for a variety of electrical and electronic components and equipment.
- Good working knowledge on how to apply failure analysis testing to a variety of electrical and electronic components and equipment.
- Good knowledge of the operation, manufacturing processes, machining and related construction techniques for electronic equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of related testing standards and procedures good working knowledge of how to calibrate, maintain and repair related electrical and electronic testing instrumentation and equipment and apply accepted testing standards.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of how to interpret and adapt high voltage/high power mechanical laboratory testing procedures.
- Good working knowledge of high voltage/high power testing and analysis procedures, testing standards and quality assurance principles.
- Ability to modify existing test methods to perform unique tests or achieve different results.
- Good knowledge of circuit analysis.
- Good technical report writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Basic marketing skills.
- Good knowledge of related safety and WHMIS regulations.
- Basic knowledge of MS Office applications.
Experience, Training and Education National Diploma of Technology from an Institute of Technology in Electronics discipline (power/control option) with 4 years related experience.
- National Diploma Electrical (power option) highly desirable
- Proficiency in protection circuits highly desirable
- Experience in testing transmission and distribution equipment highly desirable
- Experience in high voltage cable and dielectric testing is highly desirable
- Excellent trouble shooting skills are a must
- Proficiency in instrumentations is a must
- This role could involve work in the lab and in the field testing high voltage electrical equipment
- Must be able to work in confined space
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work at heights > 10 feet
- Must be able to travel. Travel within Canada and some international travel required.
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license
Close Date: We will continue to accept applications until the positions are filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
||Full Time Regular
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.