Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team to connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port. Stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline, the Port borders 16 municipalities and one treaty First Nation, and intersects the traditional territorities of several First Nations. The Port plays a vital role in importing and exporting products our communities use everyday, annually trading $75 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Our Engineering & Maintenance Department is seeking a highly motivated individual to join their team as a Dredging Technician to provide a variety of services related to planning and implementation of Fraser River dredging. More specifically, in this role you will:
Fraser River Dredging Duties
- Collects, inputs and keeps records of hydrographic survey data. Prepares, updates, reconciles and files related CAD and GIS plans. Carries out related dredging volume calculations in support of dredging planning by the Dredging Specialist.
- Modifies data files received from others to meet PMV digital storage requirements and ensures that as-built dredging data are received and recorded. Maintains the Corporate Plan Registry and keeps the electronic index files up-to-date.
· Assists the Dredging Specialist in making dredging-related information available to internal and external customers.
· Carries out research related to historical records.
· Assists with the organization and maintenance of electronic and hard copy drawings and records related to Port infrastructure as required.
· Assists with site surveys and measurements as required.
· Performs other assigned duties as required.
Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise effectively and positively with staff and outside contacts in a team environment. Ability to work independently, accurately and on own initiative to maintain work output. Must have a good command of the English language, both oral and written.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Must have a related two-year full-time technical diploma from BCIT or equivalent, and a minimum of two years of civil engineering related drafting, AutoCAD Civil 3D and dredging or earthworks volume calculations. Must have a working knowledge of CARIS hydrographic software, especially BathyDataBase and Spacial Fusion, for the analysis and storage of robust volumes of LIDAR and Sonar data. A background in land surveying or hydrographic surveying would be an asset. Must be proficient with computers, especially the Microsoft Office suite.
Normal office conditions with occasional exposure to the outside elements.
The salary for this term position starts at $35.16 per hour.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line.
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.