BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT
BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver (“PMV”) is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. PMV leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Due to a recent promotion we have an opening for a Human Resources Advisor to join PMV’s HR team, known for our people and strategic focus, customer responsiveness, and collaborative approach. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the successful applicant will:
- Provide expert, effective and proactive advice and services on human resources capacity building activities including: talent management, labour/employee relations, employee programs and HR processes.
- Ensure consistency and appropriate application of employer best practices, the collective agreement, PMV policies and statutory requirements.
- Partner with and coach hiring managers in the development of accurate and concise job descriptions, recruitment processes and best practices. Provide full cycle recruiting services to attract and secure appropriate talent for PMV.
- Pre-evaluate bargaining unit positions and act as an alternate on the Job Evaluation Committee.
- Develop and co-ordinate recruitment activities for union and exempt positions by providing effective and timely placement and recruiting services, such as: posting, advertising, creating interview questions, reviewing and pre-screening applicants, interviewing, testing, reference checks, developing and presenting employment offers, and follow-up communications with internal and external applicants.
- Conduct PMV’s communication style assessment tool (e.g. Job Style Indicator and Personal Style Indicator) to support the recruitment process and individual and team development.
- Articulate and live the PMV culture values, set an example by modelling the required behaviours and hold others (staff and peers) accountable for their actions by identifying and acting of behaviour which is inconsistent with agreed standards and values.
- Participate on the Joint Union Management Committee, where through collaborative discussion, business issues are communicated and creative problem solving is employed to achieve mutually acceptable solutions.
- Research, develop and assist in implementing and enhancing Human Resource programs in support of the changing needs of the business. Prepare communication plans and support the success of programs through consistent and timely delivery of key messages.
- Contribute toward the attainment of organizational goals by leading and participating on cross-functional teams, performing research and coordinating project activities as required.
- Develop and deliver presentations to employees in support of HR programs and organizational change initiatives.
- Assist with the HR business planning process and operating budget preparation.
As the ideal candidate you have an appropriate university degree along with a minimum of three years of experience providing specialized HR capacity building advice and services in a unionized environment or an acceptable combination of education and experience. A CHRP designation would be considered an asset. Must have an excellent command of the English language, both oral and written. Must be proficient in MicroSoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook). Experience in JD Edwards or another similar HRIS would be an asset.
You are a consummate professional with a talent for working with people, you are self aware, approachable and sensitive to a variety of perspectives. Your above average oral and written communication skills combined with your collaborative approach and eye for detail mean you are known for your practical and flexible approach to problem solving. A roll up your sleeves approach and an excellent sense of humour rounds out your qualifications.
PMV offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
(Please note that this posting will remain active until the position is filled.)
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.