BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT
BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver (“PMV”) is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. PMV leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Due to a recent promotion we have an opening for a Manager, Human Resources to play a key role in the development, implementation and improvement of a wide range of strategic and tactical Human Resources (HR) initiatives and programs. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and joining a talented and motivated team the successful applicant will:
- Provide expert, effective and proactive advice and services on human resources capacity building activities including: talent management, labour/employee relations, employee programs and HR processes.
- Play a leadership role in ensuring PMV’s recruitment practices actively promote the principles of the Employment Equity Act.
- Partner with and coach hiring managers in the development of accurate and concise job descriptions, recruitment processes and best practices. Provide full cycle recruiting services to attract and retain key talent at PMV.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to employees and members of the HR team to support their professional learning and growth.
- Work collaboratively with the Union leadership to facilitate proactive communication and consultation on workplace matters. Participate on Joint Union Management Committee.
- Provide advice and information to managers and employees on the interpretation and application of the collective agreement and on workplace legislation and policies
- Provide guidance in the management of accommodation issues and on the appropriateness of disciplinary and non-disciplinary actions.
- Provide confidential advice to employees and management regarding effective conflict resolution.
- Facilitate the ongoing education, communication and awareness of PMV’s job evaluation program to ensure consistent application and implementation. Pre-rate new jobs and participate on the Job Evaluation Committee. As required co-chair Job Evaluation sessions.
- Assist with change management activities including planning, communication and coaching.
- Provide leadership and management of all administrative aspects of the HR function in a proactive manner and ensure that policies, procedures and systems are in place in support of effective delivery of HR services at PMV.
- Participate as a member of various management and inter-departmental teams in the planning, implementation and management of business initiatives.
As the ideal candidate, you have an appropriate university degree along with a minimum of 5 years of related experience at a management level, which must include experience with the following: labour relations, job evaluation, talent management and change management or an acceptable combination of education and experience. The incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid Marine Transportation Security Clearance as defined by the Marine Transportation Security Regulations.
You are a consummate professional with a talent for working with people, you are self aware, approachable and sensitive to a variety of perspectives. Your above average oral and written communication skills combined with your collaborative approach and eye for detail mean you are known for your practical and flexible approach to problem solving. A roll up your sleeves approach and an excellent sense of humour rounds out your qualifications.
PMV offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.