BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Career Opportunity: Deputy Harbour Master
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. The Port leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $172 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Reporting to the Director Marine Operations and Security, the Deputy Harbour Master will play a key role in the continuity of port operations. This would include emergency preparedness and marine environmental response. In this position you will:
- Act as Duty Harbour Master on a rotating basis.
- Oversee the management and administration of anchorages and lay-by berths.
- Manage the Harbour Master’s marine and vessel operations.
- Manage a broad range marine port operations related issues including navigational safety, port procedures and environmental response.
- Provide expert advice on navigational impacts of various marine permitting applications within the port jurisdiction.
- Provide port users with timely advice and information related to port operations, regulations and infrastructure, promoting safe port practices and procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with National and International Regulations as they may apply to the port and its users.
- Develop and implement policies, practices and procedures relating to vessel and marine operations under the direction of the department head.
- Undertake or assist with various projects, as assigned.
- Provide leadership, management and direction to staff including training and development.
- Participate in the development of departmental plans and be responsible for the development and implementation of activities and programs designed to meet the intention of specific strategic priorities.
- Provide an active and positive leadership example within the wider Port community, clearly communicating PMV’s strategy and key elements of PMV’s business plan, ensuring PMV’s ability to deliver improvements through influence as well as direct control.
As the ideal candidate, you have an appropriate university degree and Certificate of Competency as Master Mariner or Master (F.G.), or O.N. 1 Certificate of Competency. You have a minimum of 5 years experience at a management level, or an acceptable combination of education and experience. An extensive knowledge of the marine transportation industry is required. You are an excellent communicator and an effective public speaker. You are known for your sound judgment under pressure and you enjoy working with technology. You are an innovative and results oriented thinker with the ability to work in an ever-changing environment.
Port Metro Vancouver offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please forward a resume and cover letter, in confidence, to:
(Please note that this posting will remain active until the position is filled.)
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.