BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT
BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Employment Opportunity: Environmental Specialist – Energy (2 year term)
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. Port Metro Vancouver leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $75 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Reporting to the Manager of Strategic Environmental Initiatives, the Environmental Specialist – Energy will be responsible for:
- Under direction, develop a Strategic Energy Management Plan for PMV including a monitoring and reporting program.
- Develop an energy tracking and monitoring system for port facilities that supports planning of conservation projects.
- Review existing energy studies for port facilities to assess work to-date and inform program plan. Perform high-level assessments, including walk through audits of major processes to identify energy conservation opportunities and to identify which systems require more detailed evaluations. Facilitate detailed energy studies of port facilities by third party technical consultants and incorporate findings into program plan.
· Review and provide a description of the control systems, operating schedules, and maintenance practices at selected facilities, including a process to identify operational savings. Work with facility operators to review maintenance practices and programs to enhance energy efficiency.
· Identify, assess, prioritize and recommend to project partner and/or management energy conservation projects including both capital improvement projects and operational and maintenance changes. This will include the preparation of business cases to justify capital expenditure and the completion of applications to BC Hydro Power Smart Programs and to other agencies to maximize funding available for energy conservation projects.
- Coordinate the implementation of energy conservation projects, including the planning, budgeting, and scheduling for the design, installation, commissioning, and verification of energy efficiency projects.
· Promote a sustainable energy management culture across the port and support port facilities in providing an avenue for employees to recognize and report issues and ideas regarding energy conservation and efficiency.
· Work with select port facilities to implement employee training and awareness programs to promote energy conservation and communicate the energy efficiency initiatives undertaken.
· Coordinate and assist with site inspections by BC Hydro from time to time of the various measures implemented at BC Hydro’s sole discretion. Collect relevant information regarding additional electrical energy use (equipment purchases, schedule changes, occupancy changes or construction) to assist with base year adjustment issues to BC Hydro.
As the successful applicant, you must have a Bachelor of Science, Environmental or Business Management degree along with a minimum of 5 years experience in energy efficient building/industrial design, engineering or energy management, preferably in a port or industrial setting. You are a registered Professional Engineer, registered Engineering Technologist, Project Management Professional or Certified Energy Manager (LEED Professional Accreditation is an asset). You have previous experience working with BC Hydro or similar electric utility systems and government energy efficiency funding programs; and in program and project management in the context of capital projects, including preparation of project plans, work breakdown structures, schedules, budgets, and communications plans would be highly desirable. Energy efficiency training such as the CIET Energy Management Training course would be considered an asset.
Port Metro Vancouver offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line.
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.