BE PART OF THE TEAM THAT
BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER.
Government Affairs and Media Advisor
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
Port Metro Vancouver (“PMV”) is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 600 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. PMV leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $172 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
Our Communications and Government Affairs Team has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and seasoned individual to join them as Government Affairs and Media Advisor. In this role you will:
· support government affairs initiatives;
· monitor developing issues that could impact Port Metro Vancouver and work with the team and appropriate stakeholders to develop or recommend appropriate actions;
· participate in the implementation of government outreach and engagement strategies;
· regularly review federal policy amendments that could impact Port Metro Vancouver, and/or recommend appropriate actions;
- implement media relations activities including taking calls from the media; collecting information, data, statistics for media requests and interviews; monitoring and identifying issues; and developing news stories to be pitched to the media;
- coordinate interviews with Port spokespeople or act as spokesperson as appropriate; research and develop background material for spokespersons in preparation for interviews; provide background material to media in advance of interviews as required;
- prepare a variety of communication documents including press releases, media advisories, key messages, background materials, Q and A’s and speaking notes.
As the successful candidate, you have a university degree majoring in Communications or Political Science along with a minimum combination of 4 years of experience in media relations in a government, public sector or government relations environment, and/or government relations experience. Legislative affairs experience would be an asset. You have excellent writing and editing skills, with knowledge of Canadian Press standards. Your outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and your ability to use sound judgment, tact and diplomacy set you apart from the rest.
PMV offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including an Earned Time Off program.
Port Metro Vancouver is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.