Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply Now! and your most current resume will be attached to this position. If you are new, the system will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
The City of Port Moody is a growing community of 34,000 residents located 30 minutes east of downtown Vancouver at the head of the Burrard Inlet and just steps from seaside parks, mountain trails and lakes. To achieve our mission of providing services that enhance the quality of life for all of our residents, we are looking for motivated individuals to complement our team.
||Youth Services Librarian
||CUPE 825 (Inside)
|# of Vacancies
||September 3 - 20, 2013
||The Port Moody Public Library is seeking a creative and energetic Youth Services Librarian.
Reporting to the Programs & Youth Services Coordinator, you will support the early literacy needs of preschoolers and engage school-age children and teens in ways that are meaningful to them. This includes: providing reference and readers' advisory services; planning, coordinating and delivering a wide variety of programs and outreach activities; and selecting and maintaining relevant library collections in various formats.
|Please note that employment with the City of Port Moody is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory police records check and also a satisfactory driver’s abstract. Please submit your online application @ www.portmoody.ca/jobs by September 20, 2013.
- Masters degree in Library & Information Science (MLIS/MLS) from an accredited program including specialized course work in the area of children's and teen literature, services and programs. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Two to three years of recent, relevant experience
- Experience providing information and readers' advisory services for children and their caregivers, as well as for teens and adults
- Ability to plan, promote and present creative and innovative library programs for children and teens
- Knowledge of early literacy theory, and an ability to integrate this theory into practice. Understanding of teen culture and pyschology
- Knowledge of public library collections in all formats, with a specific focus on literature and other resources for children and teens. Familiarity with collection development principles
- Knowledge of library information technology as it applies to public libraries in general, and to the delivery of youth services, in particular. Ability to integrate technology into service delivery
- Ability to train individuals and groups
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to deal with challenging patrons
- Ability to manage projects and to handle multiple and competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and to work collaboratively with others to improve services.
- Leadership and supervision skills
- A valid Class 5 BC driver’s licence
||100 Newport Drive
||British Columbia [BC]
|Compensation - Hourly
||$31.92 to $34.35 per hour
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||The City of Port Moody strives to be an employer of choice and offers an excellent benefits package as well as professional development opportunities.