With $129.5 billion in net assets as of December 31, 2012, the Ontario
Teachers' Pension Plan is the largest single-profession pension plan in
Canada. An independent organization, it invests the pension fund's assets
and administers the pensions of 303,000 active and retired teachers in
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Senior Manager, Derivatives
Responsible for managing the Derivative Markets groups within Investment Finance. Responsibilities include supervising a staff of (20+) in each of the underlying operational groups, who are primarily responsible for trade processing, settlement, pricing, ISDA confirmations, accounting and reporting.
- Responsible for trade lifecycle activities, accounting, analysis, management reporting and preparation of reports for management and senior management.
- Responsible for all aspects of the day to day operations of Investment Finance which include the following units:
- Equity Derivatives
- Fixed Income Derivatives
- Credit Derivatives
- ISDA Confirmations
- Responsible for the daily, weekly, monthly and/or annual valuation of derivative products.
- Responsible for maintaining and monitoring a strong internal control structure.
- Manages key internal relationships with the Investment Division and the IT Investments Department.
- Manages key external relationships with suppliers, counterparties, brokers.
- Responsibility to recruit, train, lead, manage and motivate staff to build a qualified, productive and efficient operations team capable of adding value to the organization.
- Responsible for the management of large scale projects affecting multiple units within Investment Finance and across other divisions at OTPP.
- Manages 20+ management and staff.
|Duties and Responsibilities
All responsibilities are in relation to the investment products within this group
1. Manage the daily, month end, year end operations
- Handle complex issues referred by the Managers and financial Analysts requiring judgement.
- Ensures integrity of data by establishing and managing daily position reconciliations with counterparties.
- Resolution of issues affecting settlements, accounting, valuation, performance measurement, risk reporting or financial reporting.
- Documentation requirements of OTC and listed instruments.
- Handle inquiries from the Investment Department.
- Assist in managing the introduction of new derivative investment products.
2. Develop financial controls and oversee financial reporting
- Ensure an appropriate internal control structure is in place.
- Ensures up-to-date policies, procedures manuals and process flows are established and maintained.
- Recommends changes to financial control systems based on the review and analysis of processes or process changes.
- Manage the production of the annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily financial, management and statutory reporting requirements.
- Responsible for the accuracy of data utilized by the company’s performance measurement, risk analytics and regulatory compliance systems.
- Manage the operational risks of settlements, valuations custody and clearing arrangements.
3. Hires, manages and develops staff
- Responsible for planning and developing strategic initiatives for the Derivatives area.
- Directly manage a team Managers and analysts who are responsible for the daily, month end and quarter end and year end operations.
- Makes recommendations to increase or decrease management and staff head count where necessary.
- Recruit management and staff to fill vacancies.
- Conducts performance evaluations, career development, coaching and training based on the needs assessment of the team.
- Responsible for the performance management of the group under management.
4. Oversee special projects
- Manage group under management all stages of departmental and corporate projects.
- Manage large scale projects affecting multiple units within Investment Finance and across divisions at OTPP.
- Prepare project plans and updates as required to ensure projects are keep on target.
5. Liaise with key contacts in the Investment Department, other internal departments and external suppliers, counterparties and other contacts
- Responsible for ensuring exceptional service is provided by external suppliers and counterparties.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from the Investment department.
- Work with other internal departments to ensure efficient co-ordination of operational activity as well as special project work.
- Provide input into corporate and divisional objectives.
- Assist with due diligence services to the Investment department as required.
- Assist with the negotiation of contracts with external service suppliers as required.
- Assist the Investment and Law department with the preparation, review and execution of other contracts.
6. Financial information systems
- Participate in the selection, negotiation, design and on going monitoring of key information systems, including the portfolio management , order management and custody systems, as well as the local database.
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of innovative information systems built for Investment Finance Operations by Investment IT and Investment Finance Systems.
7. Budgeting and Expenses
- Responsible for the preparation and monitoring of the Derivatives portion of the Investment Finance Operations budget.
- Relevant university degree.
- C.A /MBA / CFA or other relevant post graduate degrees .
- Extensive Operations experience (7-10 years) .
- Derivatives product knowledge an asset.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
- Ability to grasp and understand complex problems.
- Ability to question current practice to ensure appropriate control environment.
- Experience in preparation and presentation of complex financial statements.
- Experience interacting with senior management and other external advisors.
- Effective planning and organizational experience to set priorities and co-ordinate projects to meet deadlines.
||Interested Candidates can apply directly via our website at www.otpp.com. We appreciate your interest and will contact you if a meeting is required. REF NO. 872
At Teachers', we're concerned about your privacy. Please read our Code of Conduct
to learn how we protect your personal information. When you send your application and other personal information to us over the Internet, we use different layers of security technology to ensure your privacy. The company providing third-party software for our career portal uses 128-bit encryption to protect the transfer of information between your computer and the career portal. This is the same standard used by secure banking websites.