Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Executive Director, HR Programs and Services
||Public Health Ontario ("PHO" / "Agency") is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||The Executive Director, HR Programs and Services (ED) develops and manages the operational, administrative and service functions and programs in: employee and labour relations, recruitment, on-boarding, off-boarding, occupational health, safety and wellness, compensation and benefits, and HR information systems.
As a key support to the Vice President, Corporate Services and Human Resources (VP), the role ensures the development, delivery, management and assessment of relevant best practice HR programs, policies, guidelines, and procedures to facilitate the successful achievement of the organization’s corporate strategy, priorities and goals and provides HR leadership and coordination in managing strategic and operational client service across the organization.
||• Directs the development and/or implementation of HR policies and programs to ensure employee talent management, labour and employee relations, performance, total compensation, health and wellness, and recruitment strategies and initiatives are designed and delivered and outcomes aligned with HR business strategies that proactively contribute to and advance the organization’s priorities and goals. Ensures all HR operations and activities comply with legislation, policies, collective agreements, practices and standards. Responds to the organization’s transformational priorities.
• Leads HR activities coordinating and implementing approved initiatives or integrated projects to ensure a consistent approach across the HR Team in delivering service to their respective internal clients or external customers.
• In partnership with the HR Team and colleagues, champions a positive, healthy and safe workplace. Facilitates the establishment and maintenance of an employee and labour relations climate that fosters understanding, respect and builds workforce commitment and engagement that advance the organization’s strategic directions. Develops, recommends and oversees the implementation of fair and ethical HR policies and practices that align with the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Promoting a culture of proactive customer service, leads a team of HR professionals to support organizational strategies and business needs ensuring service delivery initiatives and team members are focused on client needs and priorities. Creates an environment that fosters team work and innovation to achieve HR best practices for the organization, providing the infrastructure that enables effective team functioning, ensuring team members know and understand expectations, recognizing effort and successes, and coaching, mentoring and supporting direct reports for the achievement of individual and team goals.
• Manages direct reports, assigning and directing work, ensuring ongoing work quality assessment, conducting performance and compensation reviews, rewarding and counselling employees, ensuring the availability of skill development, coaching, mentoring and training opportunities, addressing concerns and resolving problems. Develops internal HR capacity, strengthening skills to ensure a more effective and efficient organization. Motivates and enables team members to focus on annual and/or project goals, timelines, deliverables and cross-team communication assessing and allocating resources, and following up on outcomes. Provides leadership and direction to the HR Team on common issues, new and emerging trends, projects, resolutions, interpretations to facilitate a consistent approach by the HR business units in their service delivery to clients across the organization.
• Provides input into the corporate HR strategic plan and budget development process, interpreting and operationalizing HR strategies in support of corporate objectives, ensuring appropriate resources are determined and allocated, and budgets effectively managed.
• Evaluates current and future HR program needs, determining issues and identifying viable enhancement opportunities. Utilizes client feedback to plan and implement service improvements to close gaps in service. Oversees HR program and service enhancement projects, facilitating the development and implementation of work plans, supporting team involvement and managing conflicts that may impact the delivery of outcomes. Assesses potential program, service and process weaknesses and areas of financial and legal risks and organizational impacts of HR policy and program development and management decisions. Recommends mitigating actions and development plans that reflect business and environmental conditions to the VP and senior management for consideration.
• Provides advice and support to internal clients and external customers/stakeholders on HR matters, responding to queries addressing and resolving issues and conflicts, gathering supporting documentation, facilitating discussions and presenting alternative solutions and recommendations. Ensures compliance with legislation, policies, standards, procedures, principles, and practices, communicating with internal client and external customer/partner/stakeholder to ensure awareness and understanding. Reduces organizational risk and/or liability in the fulfilment of legislative, regulatory and contractual obligations.
• In collaboration with the VP, leads the organization in understanding and responding to workforce risks, which impact its ability to deliver its business plan. Creates and leads a responsive recruitment strategy to ensure that the organization attracts highly qualified staff, selects the best and positively on-boards for long-term retention and talent management purposes. Advises on and supports the development and implementation of a strategy for a workplace that promotes leadership and excellence the field of public service, attracts and retains a respected and competent workforce and fully engages the human capital at its disposal. Develops and implements tools to orient and build capacity for new or existing managers. Proactively contributes to the development of an “employer of choice” strategy as well as a talent management strategy and recommends and facilitates in implementing solutions on leadership development.
• Ensures the timely implementation and processing of changes resulting from collective bargaining and grievance and complaint resolutions.
• Provides leadership in the development, implementation and sustainability of occupational health and safety and wellness programs and services and facilitates return to work and accommodation issues intervening when there is resistance to affected parties. Ensures programs align with legislation, policies and the organization’s mission, vision and values.
• Develops and implements a comprehensive and fiscally responsible compensation philosophy and structure promoting fair and equitable compensation practices as well as a cost-effective employee health and benefits plans that comply with legislation, policies and advance the organization’s employer of choice strategy. Determines and oversees the development and delivery of communication strategies and initiatives, ensuring effective communication of HR program and service initiatives and updates.
• Manages HR business information databases, ensuring system efficiencies, data and information quality and accessibility, and ensuring that data analysis and reporting capabilities are available and effectively managed. Ensures key HR metrics are analyzed to determine common themes/issues and strategies identified to resolve issues consistently; forwards those requiring a corporate strategic focus or attention with recommendations to the VP and senior management.
• Leverages relationships with key internal clients and external partners and customers to manage activities, address issues, resolve conflicts and influence outcomes. Develops working relationships with all levels of employees across the organization, ensuring information is shared, program support is provided and issues are resolved. Leads or participates in a variety of critical committees or working groups to represent HR, educate clients, collectively problem solve common issues, discuss strategies and generally communicate on and advance HR programs, services and initiatives. Develops relationships with industry counterparts to build information exchange networks and maintain best practice knowledge. Maintains a knowledge base that is current with the external environment, such as emerging trends, to provide the credible and proactive advice to clients at all levels across the organization.
• Researches HR best practices through networks, industry counterparts, regulatory boards and government agencies to identify emerging trends relating to HR, providing input into policy and program planning, process improvements and development activities, recommending alternative and best practice approaches. Identifies opportunities to improve programs, services and processes to ensure cost efficiencies, added value to continue to meet client needs and organizational demands.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Relies on knowledge of a broad spectrum of human resource management and organization development strategies and relevant applicable legislation to integrate HR services with clients’ business units and provide a comprehensive systems-thinking approach to decision making; utilizes skills as a credible expert to advise, influence and engage clients at all levels of the organization.
• Relies on knowledge of related legislation, HR practices, theories, and research in areas including employee and labour relations, performance management, policy development, and project, talent management and transformation processes to provide advice to senior management, the Board and internal clients for an informed decision on strategic direction.
• Utilizes experience with business management tools and processes, project management and relationship building skills to manage resources efficiently and effectively and to develop innovative methods of delivering fiscally responsible services, programs and practices.
• Creates reports, communication material, presentations, briefing notes used to address issues with senior management, the Board and internal clients; uses written and verbal skills to craft or edit legally binding agreements, solutions to issues with internal clients and external representatives, partners or stakeholders.
• Utilizes leadership skills to motivate, coach and mentor a team of professionals to work collaboratively and collectively as a well-functioning unit to achieve goals, problem-solve broader HR issues and contribute to HR projects.
• Applies customer service skills to develop and manage collaborative working relationships with clients and the HR Team and maintains a positive working relationship through negotiation and dispute resolution skills with union representatives to minimize labour relations issues.
• Utilizes business acumen, analysis and problem solving skills to identify client needs, issues and assess processes, to determine alternatives and recommend options; relies on research and analytical and facilitation and consulting skills combined with experience to negotiate agreements and/or resolve critical precedent-setting issues with employee and union representatives.
|Education and Experience
||• Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Organizational Behaviour and/or Industrial Relations preferred with post graduate education in a related discipline.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in human resource management, with significant experience in the administration of collective agreements, preferably in an academic, health care or broader public sector environment.
• CHRP designation preferred.
||Full Time Regular
||480 University Avenue