Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||HR Business Partner
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: HR Business Partner
Department: Human Resources/Public Health Laboratories
Location: 81 Resources Road, Etobicoke
Occasional travel within Ontario to Regional Public Health Labs
Weekly travel to downtown Toronto
Posting Date: January 2, 2013
Closing Date: January 16, 2013
The HR Business Partner - PHL supports the execution of corporate, HR and Laboratory specific strategic and operational objectives though managing, coaching, guiding and facilitating decisions that ensure successful achievement of business results and are in accordance with relevant Laboratory practices and accreditation requirements, HR policies, collective agreements and applicable legislation.
As a member of Laboratory management, this role manages human resource/staffing strategies in the program to develop operational procedures and ensure implementation in compliance with operational and accreditation standards; and integration of corporate HR programs and projects and coordinates resolution of HR issues including the interpretation of legislation, HR policies, collective agreements, and contractual agreements.
The HR Business Partner - PHL will have a matrix reporting relationship to the Chief Laboratory Operations Officer and the Executive Director, Human Resources Programs and Services.
||• Provides strategic and proactive leadership, advice and guidance on employee and labour relations issues to internal clients to support a collaborative and enabling environment and meet the evolving needs of their business units.
• Actively participates in day-to-day laboratory operations, change initiatives, business continuity and incident management to ensure compliance with laboratory service and quality standards.
• Manages for/or supports the Chief of Laboratory Operation’s Office for laboratory programmatic strategies and initiatives in workforce planning, talent management, performance management, grievance management, lab recruitment processing; staffing levels, mix, distribution and metrics. May provide supervision to administrative and project staff.
• Counsels and/or coaches laboratory leadership on the administration, interpretation, application of related legislation, policies, collective agreements, procedures, and corporate and HR strategic directions, including all aspects of workforce planning, talent management, learning and development, performance management, performance improvement, change management, and employee engagement.
• Advises clients on employee and labour relations issues including discipline, termination, providing information to support clients’ decision making processes. Responds to queries, interprets and evaluates needs, identifies and mitigates risks, facilitates and/or manages problem solving and when required, presents alternatives.
• In close collaboration with the Director, Labour Relations and the Laboratory Management Team, acts as case manager for the investigation, processing and resolution of all laboratory related complaints and grievances, and/or through the dispute resolution processes. Participates at labour/management meetings, the grievance process and other venues, such as arbitration, mediation, negotiations, as required.
• Actively participates in accommodation and return to work placements in close collaboration with the Health, Safety and Wellness Advisor.
• Actively participates in the Laboratory Safety program and PHL Joint Health and Safety committee
• Advises clients on compensation matters in close collaboration with the Compensation and Benefits Advisor.
• Manages and facilitates implementation of change processes providing supporting information, education and advice and ensures applicable training needs are coordinated and delivered.
• Develops workplace improvement/restoration plans, assists clients with reorganizations, responds to organization’s transformational priorities and supports clients in managing changes. Based on client feedback, plans and implements service improvements to close the service gap.
• Identifies employee engagement issues and collaborates with the HR Team to achieve an integrated consistent approach that addresses issues promoting a healthy and productive workplace and collectively determine and communicate recommendations to clients.
• Creates proposals and business cases to forward concepts contributing to the organization, the Laboratory and the HR Team. Develops briefing notes on HR or staffing issues for management. In partnership with the HR Team, develops tools for clients to facilitate understanding and implementation of HR processes.
• Participates in standing and working management/Laboratory committees representing the HR Team.
• Participates in HR committees and at the HR Team representing the Laboratory.
• Develops relationships with industry counterparts to build information exchange networks and maintain best practice knowledge.
• Manages, coordinates and/or leads special HR projects/initiatives, working collaboratively to ensure delivery of outcomes and timelines.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Knowledge of related legislation, HR practices, theories, and research in areas including employee and labour relations, performance management, policy development, and project, change and talent management to provide advice to clients for an informed decision.
• Utilizes business acumen, analysis and problem solving skills to identify customer needs, issues and assess processes, to determine alternatives and recommend options.
• Communication and report writing skills to develop, prepare and present business cases or proposals across assigned business units or the organization.
• Familiarity with project management methodologies and tools and change management theory to implement and influence HR project and program outcomes.
• Uses research and analytical skills combined with experience to facilitate clients’ planning and management of human capital.
• Creates reports, communication material, presentations, briefing notes used to address issues with the LMT, senior management and internal clients.
• Applies customer service skills to develop and manage collaborative working relationships with the Laboratory and the HR Team; maintains a positive working relationship through negotiation and dispute resolution skills with union representatives to minimize labour relations issues.
|Education and Experience
||• Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (i.e. Business Administration, Human Resources and Industrial Relations) and certificate in an accredited Human Resources program, along with a CHRP designation.
• A minimum of five years’ experience in a broad spectrum of HR functions with at least two years’ in a consultant/advisor role.
• Master's degree in a relevant discipline is preferred.
||Full Time Regular