Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: Research Technician
Department: Toronto Public Health Laboratory
Duration: Temporary – 6 Months
Location: 81 Resources Road, Etobicoke
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: OPEN
Job Code: 16PGS
Salary: $59,620 - $72,826 annually
Posting Date: January 14, 2013
Closing Date: January 28, 2013
||The Research Technician will perform highly specialized and complex laboratory testing, within the Public Health Laboratory, to support research, method development and surveillance under the direction of a principal investigator (e.g. molecular specialist, medical microbiologist, or clinical microbiologist). To perform and evaluate protocols and conduct, under the direction of a principal investigator, research projects, sophisticated analyses and methods evaluations.
• Performs highly specialized and complex laboratory testing to respond to potential public health threats from emerging pathogens, protect public health and safety, and to support disease diagnosis, prevention and treatment and other organism of public health importance.
• Performs tests and provides input to principal investigators on highly specialized and complex
laboratory testing and equipment.
• Under the direction of a principal investigator (e.g. molecular specialist) recommends changes to formalized procedures and new protocols for diagnostic laboratory testing of emerging pathogens.
• Assesses proposed laboratory procedures and reports on findings to a PI for consideration in the
improvement of laboratory practices and protocols.
• Under the direction of a principal investigator participates in research and development as part of the process in establishing new protocols where none exists. Assesses proposed and existing laboratory procedures and reports on findings to a molecular specialist for further action. Prepares SOPs for research and drafts SOPs for methods being adapted in the clinical laboratory. Conducts, under direction, research projects pertaining to the establishment and implementation of new protocols and procedures, sophisticated analyses and methods evaluations for the improvement of laboratory procedures, protocols and surveillance.
• Provides technical support to medical laboratory technologists in performing new procedures that apply to new techniques and protocols which supports the implementation of more effective techniques and new test technology.
• Under direction conducts collaborative research projects which may involve provincial/national/
international organizations and universities, to evaluate and establish improved methodologies to enhance PHL testing service. Provides technical support on projects for medical laboratory technologists and laboratory assistants in the diagnostic laboratory, sharing their knowledge and expertise of new methodologies and practices.
• Maintains quality control for own research projects.
• Maintains the efficient operation of their assigned research laboratory area including maintenance of equipment and ordering of supplies.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Knowledge of current complex testing theory and its application to the field of public health to
perform tests and provide input to principal investigators on highly specialized and complex
• Knowledge of complex testing methods in order to participate in research experiments and
projects, to conduct complex molecular‐based research and to make definitive decisions regarding results.
• Experience in next generation sequencing on complex samples is essential.
• Knowledge of PHL policies and procedures related to the provision of diagnostic clinical laboratory services to conduct complex testing and research tests and to make recommendations for changes to laboratory guidelines and procedures.
• Knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems or other database programs to facilitate data
collection and analysis.
• Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation, protocols, practices and standards to safely conduct
|Education and Experience
||• Bachelor’s Degree from a university of recognized standing and experience in microbiology with
specialized training in microbiology, molecular laboratory diagnostic methods, equipment, research and analysis testing to perform highly specialized and complex laboratory testing, support research, method development and surveillance.
||Full Time Temporary