Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: Program Assistant
Department: Toronto Public Health Laboratory
Duration: Permanent Full Time -36.25 hours per week
Location: 81 Resources Road, Etobicoke
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Status: Internal – Open to PHO Employees Only
Salary: $20.14 - $22.58 per hour
Posting Date: December 4, 2012
Closing Date: December 18, 2012
This position provides clerical office administration and typing support services to section staff within various laboratory testing program areas on a rotational basis at the Public Health Laboratories.
||• Prepares a variety of program documents, reports, correspondence, expense forms, statistical reports, and material for the Manager and staff. Modifies and types standard form letters, flags documents for signature before distributing documents as directed to appropriate staff member. Takes and prepares minutes of monthly meetings.
• Establishes and/or maintains filing system containing letters, memoranda, reports, minutes, regulatory records, or clients’ files. Develops and maintains files, files various forms including laboratory reports and storing of previous years files in accordance to retention schedules. Maintains current and obsolete documents using the QPulse document system. Files, retrieves and scans requisitions as required. Prepares storage boxes and transport of files to alternative storage area.
• Maintains daily attendance log, obtains sign off from staff and supervisory staff. Makes internal copies for supervisor and send original to Attendance Coordinator. Prepares overtime forms for staff from overtime log. Obtains sign off from staff and supervisory staff. Makes internal copies for section and sends original to Attendance Coordinator.
• Monitors stock, prepares requisition forms for standard office supplies and services, forwards to supervisor for review and approval. Prepares other lab orders and TQC's as directed by supervisor. Reconciles invoices for supervisor.
• Processes and distributes mail on a predetermined schedule, opening and date-stamping incoming mail, passing to staff members, attaching relevant files/background information prior to distribution, typing labels and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Documents and filing laboratory reports as required. Sorts and distributes incoming correspondence and laboratory reports. Prepares outgoing mail by checking addresses, signatures, copying distribution and enclosures, typing labels, arranging for courier services. Investigates returned mail, as required. Checks addresses, signatures, copy distribution and enclosures for outgoing mail. Prepares and sends copies of laboratory reports containing reportable diseases to various Medical Officers of Health and appropriate Health Units within the legislated time frame.
• Interacts with a variety of electronic databases such as the laboratory information systems and the WITS (drinking water system). Prints out reports from database systems using stored queries.
• Prepares statistics on routine office activities for supervisor and assists in preparation of monthly and ad hoc reports and logging of information in spreadsheet, merging information to produce reports. Maintains safety-training records for the section and distribute certificates annually.
• Acts as backup for processing and submitting invoices for payment, maintaining laboratory inventory system, entering data, and re-ordering supplies to designated limit using monthly inventory system re-order printouts. Troubleshoots problems/queries from Business Office re purchasing documentation.
• Additional duties as assigned, such as providing assistance to the Administrative Assistant as required.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Knowledge of various computer systems and software programs including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications.
• Analytical and problem solving skills in recognizing errors by checking for missing information/documents, e.g. signatures, enclosures for outgoing mail; in identifying conflicts in boardroom scheduling, and bringing to the attention of staff or supervisor; in recognizing and correcting errors in directing callers or information provided to callers provides accurate information to callers, e.g. fax numbers or addresses; and in recognizing typing errors (e.g. incorrect format) and retyping accordingly.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply clerical service principles, methods and practices to provide support to the section.
• Ability to accurately and efficiently produce materials, with attention to detail in order to review/proof read documents for accuracy and completeness
• Understanding of medical terminology in order to accurately input data (e.g. types of specimens, symptoms, types of tests carried out in the PHL).
• Keyboarding 60 wpm.