Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Evaluation Specialist, Health Promotion - 15 month contract
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: Evaluation Specialist
Department: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Duration: Full-time temporary - 15 months
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Bargaining Unit: AMAPCEO
Classification: 18APA – Program Analysis
Salary: $63,553 - $79,211 per annum
Posting Date: December 17, 2012
Closing Date: January 4, 2013
Reporting to the Chief, Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDIP), the position is responsible for supporting the evaluation of the Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) program. HBHC is a prevention/early intervention initiative designed to help families promote healthy child development and help their children achieve their full potential. This position will be responsible for the development and implementation of a process implementation evaluation, including relevant instrumentation, to assess implementation of the protocol, as well as creation of a framework for assessing HBHC outcomes.
The Evaluation Specialist will support the evaluation framework for the Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDIP) department, to include leading in developing, maintaining and supporting evaluation plans for priority HPCDIP projects and initiatives. The successful candidate will also support knowledge generation and synthesis in prioritized areas within HPCDIP, particularly related to methods, guidelines, tools, resources and initiatives.
||• Supporting the Chief, Director, Managers, Scientists and other department team members, an overall evaluation framework for HPCDIP.
• Leading on the development of evaluation plans for priority HPCDIP projects and overseeing the implementation of these plans.
• Developing conceptual models including program logic models, frameworks, consultation papers and other support materials to facilitate effective evaluation processes.
• Developing (or assisting in the development) of high quality evaluation methods, tools, and measures (for example: questionnaires, focus group protocols, qualitative and quantitative process and outcome indicators).
• Oversee the procurement of evaluation services as needed; including the development of business cases, requests for proposals and supervising external consultants hired to evaluate HPCDIP initiatives.
• Advising HPCDIP staff on the integration of evaluative components in the planning stages of projects and initiatives.
• Providing advice and support to evaluations of key initiatives carried out by HPCDIP partners including government ministries, local public health units, networks and communities of practice (e.g., participation in advisory committees, evaluation framework development, etc.).
• Ensuring the development of high quality electronic approaches to evaluation data collection and analysis (e.g. quantitative and qualitative research methodologies, instrument development, etc.).
• Contributing to knowledge generation (research), synthesis and evaluation activities in prioritized areas within HPCDIP.
• Supervising students and other trainees in knowledge generation, synthesis and evaluation activities in prioritized areas within HPCDIP.
• Contributing as author, co-author or contributor to technical reports and peer-reviewed scholarly papers.
• Advising on the development of performance indicators for HPCDIP operations within PHO.
• Identifying opportunities to collaborate across PHO departments on evaluation initiatives.
• Developing a plan to build evaluation knowledge, skills and expertise (capacity) within the HPCDIP department.
• Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within PHO and their external HPCDIP partners.
• Contributing to PHO-wide evaluation processes, including attendance on PHO planning and performance management committees; representing PHO and promoting its mandate and strategic initiatives through active participation on relevant committees, presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Expertise in the application of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods (including instrument development, data collection, analysis and report writing).
• Excellent consultation and problem solving skills to promote PHO mandate and strategic initiatives through participation on advisory committees and at conferences.
• Strong interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all partners.
• Experience working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams• Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong analytical and conceptual abilities to develop ideas from inception through to implementation.
• Skills in literature searches, reviews, critical appraisal and syntheses.
• Project management, research, and analytical skills to provide advice and support to evaluations of key initiatives carried out by HPCDIP partners.
• Experience supervising and mentoring students and trainees, and coordinating student placements on behalf of the HPCDIP team.
• Experience in evaluating the implementation of reproductive, child and youth health initiatives and related outcomes/results would be considered an asset.
• Proficient with various computer systems and software programs, including data management (MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint.
|Education and Experience
||• Master's degree in public health, evaluation, social sciences or related discipline and/or combined relevant experience;
• Credentialed Evaluator status with the Canadian Evaluation Society (or ability to meet all eligibility requirements for Credentialed Evaluator status).
• Five -10 years progressive evaluation experience at a provincial agency and/or ministry preferably related to HPCDIP preferred, (including direct experience with conducting formative, process and outcome evaluations).
||Full Time Temporary
||480 University Avenue