Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Senior Medical Laboratory Technologist
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: Senior Medical Laboratory Technologist (2 positions)
Department: High Volume Testing
Duration: One Permanent and One Temporary
Location: 81 Resources Road, Etobicoke
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Position Status: Internal – Open to PHO employees only
Job Code: Medical Laboratory Tech 2 - 16063
Salary: $31.74 - $37.51 per hour
Posting Date: January 14, 2013
Closing Date: January 28, 2013
Public Health Ontario requires 2 Senior Medical Laboratory Technologists to analyze, troubleshoot and report results for patient samples tested on the high volume automated analyzers. Duties will include management of quality control data and processes related to pre-analytical and post analytical testing. As a successful member of the High Volume Testing Laboratory team, the applicant must commit to work diligently to ensure that the goals of the laboratory are met.
||• Conduct standardized clinical tests in the High Volume Testing laboratory, according to established protocols and approved laboratory procedures.
• Report results to health care providers within prescribed time frames.
• Report and discuss test results with clients (e.g. ordering physician, Health Unit staff and other health care providers) as required.
• Carry out established quality assurance and control procedures including proficiency testing.
• Maintain equipment and supplies.
• Provide technical assistance to Head Technologist in carrying out testing, troubleshooting and/or special projects.
• Act as a technical resource for staff, exercises group leadership responsibilities and makes decisions to resolve testing problems.
• Perform advanced trouble shooting beyond daily maintenance.
• Experience in the use of the pre-analytic automatic processor, the Roche RSA Pro system.
• Perform new lot validation and verification for all reagents, QC and supplies prior to use with effective and accurate documentation.
• Ability to assess workflow processes to minimize backlogs and increase productivity.
• Ability to allocate resources to effectively maintain an efficient workflow.
• Sound knowledge of writing standard operation procedures in an accurate and comprehensive format.
• Carry out established quality assurance procedures and activities to support the laboratory’s Quality Management Program and Ontario Laboratory Accreditation requirements.
|Knowledge and Skills
• Ability to work effectively and to maintain mental focus and acuity in a dynamic fast paced environment.
• Analytical and evaluative skills to ensure quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
• Evaluate quality control results and unexpected or unusual test results and taking appropriate action to resolve the problems.
• Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize activities to ensure laboratory goals are met or exceeded.
• Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills to interact with co-workers and to interpret results to client while maintaining a fast paced and focused work environment. This includes proficient use of email.
• Ability to effectively and independently produce high quality testing results with minimal supervision.
• Ability to quickly identify any issues that will negatively impact testing quality and fail to meet the goals of the High Volume Testing Laboratory and take corrective action and/or bring these issues forward to the section Head/Manager for resolution.
• Comprehensive knowledge of laboratory safety practices
• Sound knowledge of the application of Bio-Rad quality control data management software.
• Strong working knowledge of current principles and practices of clinical virology and immunology with experience in the testing and reporting of viral Hepatitis markers.
• Flexibility to rotate through all shifts as required.
• Current qualifications and registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (active without conditions) as a General Medical Laboratory Technologist or with subject registrations in Clinical Chemistry or Virology.
||Full Time Regular