Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
||Position Title: Manager, Tuberculosis/Mycology/Parasitology
Department: Toronto Public Health Laboratory
Location: 81 Resources Road, Toronto PHL
Job ID: 13-0067
Posting Date: June 27, 2013
Closing Date: July 12, 2013
The Public Health Ontario Laboratories (PHOL) are looking for talented individuals to join our dynamic team as we prepare for the move of our Toronto lab to our new home in the MaRS Discovery District. Located in the heart of Toronto, the new state of the art facility will house some of the world’s most advanced microbiology laboratories and foremost infectious disease experts. Proven leaders are needed to help PHOL transition into this new era of public health medical laboratory science service in Ontario. Successful applicants will work from the current laboratory location at 81 Resources Road in Etobicoke prior to the laboratory’s relocation in 2014.
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical and Environmental Bacteriology Department, the Manager, Tuberculosis/ Mycology/Parasitology will manage the day to day operations of the Mycobacteriology, Mycology and Parasitology Laboratories at our Toronto lab.
• Provides technical oversight and leads day to day operations to deliver a variety of public health laboratory services. e.g. diagnostic testing, reference testing, quality assurance, customer service and outreach, non-clinical support services etc.
• Identifies and manages laboratory responses on matters of public health importance such as potential and actual outbreaks, unusual urgent and critical situations.
• Ensures implementation and compliance to all technical, regulatory, safety and accreditation requirements (e.g. OLA, CALA), policies, processes and procedures and that all staff are trained appropriately.
• Performs a variety of HR functions including recruitment, disciplinary, performance management, and coaches and develops staff and fosters a positive employee relations environment. Monitors work and performance of staff to ensure compliance with regulatory, safety and accreditation standards.
• Manages and implements annual operating and capital budgets to meet program delivery goals.
• Provides input into operational planning and policy development in relation to system wide public health laboratory issues.
• Responsible for continuous quality improvement as a member of PHOL Quality Management team and participates in the development, implementation and monitoring of quality assurance and performance measures.
• Works with contract managers to prepare appropriate procurement documentation for RFX processes for procurement of equipment, goods and services e.g. courier, preventative maintenance etc. Provides oversight for the evaluation and participates in vendor debrief sessions.
• Provides and supports outreach and customer service/client management to partners, clients, members of the public and stakeholders, e.g. public health units, hospitals, LTC facilities, physicians, laboratories, clinics, academic partners, etc. to promote and maintain high quality reliable laboratory services.
• Analyses and comments on administrative and statistical reports on lab operations (e.g. Workload report to inform resource planning and allocation.
• Provides input into monthly financial variance report. Draws conclusions and forecasts future budgetary requirements.
• Participates on appropriate committees and work teams to advance PHOL activities and foster broad stakeholder input and participation, where appropriate (e.g. public health units, LTC facilities, physicians, laboratories, clinics).
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Knowledge of principles and practices of Microbiology or Laboratory Disciplines/Services in a public health laboratory setting to provide technical oversight and lead day to day operations to deliver a variety of public health laboratory services.
• Knowledge of Public Health Laboratory programs, standards, policies, applicable legislation, and current issues affecting operations to recommend policies and improvements, and contribute to long/short term planning.
• Knowledge of the measurement indicators and collection tools and quality management tools needed to ensure that the testing program or service is operating efficiently and effectively.
• Leadership, team building and client relations management skills to develop and fosters a positive employee relations and client/stakeholder partnerships.
• Organization skills including priority setting and workload management to manage multiple concurrent issues and projects and provides direction to the reporting staff.
• Computer skills and good understanding of software including word-processing, database, spreadsheet, project management, presentation, e-mail, and Internet applications in order to analyze information, prepare reports, and establish/utilize tools which support the analysis and monitoring of operations.
|Education and Experience
||• This position requires registration with the CMLTO and in good standing with a certificate listed as: practicing.
• 3-5 years of management experience.
• Microbiology as specialty will be an asset.
• Clinical laboratory management experience within a union environment will be an asset.
• Experience with quality tools such as lean principles and six sigma will be an asset.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies of the position.
To Apply: If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please continue to view our website for new career opportunities with the Public Health Ontario.
||81 Resources Road