Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted.
If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Operational Lead – Hepatitis and HIV
||Toronto Public Health Laboratory
||Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
The Public Health Ontario Laboratories (PHOL) is looking for talented individuals to join our dynamic team as we prepare for the move of our Toronto lab to our new home in the MaRS Discovery District. Proven leaders are needed to help PHOL transition into this new era of public health medical laboratory science service in Ontario. Successful applicants will work from the Toronto laboratory current location at 81 Resources Road in Etobicoke prior to the laboratory’s relocation in 2014. For more information about PHO please visit www.publichealthontario.ca.
||Position Title: Operational Lead – Hepatitis and HIV
Department: Virology and immunodiagnostics
Duration: Permanent Full Time
Location: 81 Resources Road, Etobicoke
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Position Status: Open
Job Code: Medical Laboratory Tech 4
Salary: $35.41 -$43.88 per hour
Job ID: 13-0177
Posting date: November 19, 2013
Closing date: December 3, 2013
Reporting to the Manager, Virology, the Operational Lead will co-ordinate and provide oversight to the Hepatitis and HIV Confirmatory Laboratory in the Public Health Laboratory - Toronto. The Operational Lead will provide timely and quality testing in support of the diagnosis and treatment of patients; initiate and participate in the development/improvement of laboratory methods and techniques and is responsible for implementation and maintenance of the Quality Management System.
||• Maintaining accurate and cost effective diagnostic clinical laboratory services, or in a specialized clinical area; for providing technical consultation and advice to staff, physicians, other health care providers, and private laboratories on the application of methodologies and the interpretation of laboratory analyses;
• Recommending laboratory budget requirements to manager and assisting the manager in administering the budget; ensuring the maintenance, security and efficient utilization of all laboratory technical and office equipment; recommending the purchase of replacement or new equipment;
• Organize and oversee the activities of the clinical diagnostic laboratory, ensuring the highest quality of diagnostic services. Maintain cost effective laboratory operations, recommend purchases of capital equipment; and prepare administrative and statistical reports on laboratory activities/issues, e.g. workload, costs;
• Implement all new policies and processes related to the quality system as they are developed. Ensure all staff are familiar with and adhere to the policies and content therein. Monitor documentation required by the quality policy such as records associated with, training and validation of equipment and reagents. Provide input on quality policies when circulated for feedback and identify implementation issues when necessary;
• Initiate and conduct projects to assess new/improved methods or techniques to enhance the accuracy, speed or economy of tests. Oversees the implementation of approved new/modified tests and procedures, prepare and update laboratory manuals. Prepare or assist in preparation of scientific papers based on research performed;
• Prepare requests for tender, for kit and reagent or supply contracts for approval by manager. Carry out evaluations for products submitted by proponents, analyze results, prepare recommendations regarding selection for approval by manager;
• Provide consultative services to physicians, hospital and private laboratories, Medical Officers of Health, Public Health Inspectors, health units and regional laboratories (as appropriate) concerning the interpretation of laboratory results. Identify matters of potential public health importance, e.g. unusual or emerging pathogens and reporting them to supervisor;
• Assist Manager with recruitment process, e.g. preparing draft job ad, position selection criteria etc. Act as a technical expert on interview panel as required;
• Ensure compliance with laboratory safety and Quality Policies.
• Oversee and provide support and guidance for Bio-Rad Quality Control (QC) data management systems across various public health laboratories, sign-off of QC and corrective action reports.
|Knowledge and Skills
||• Broad current knowledge of the principles and practices of a range of clinical virology disciplines;
• Detailed knowledge of the principles and practices of Virology including hepatitis and HIV serological and molecular (viral load) methods;
• Knowledge of quality control /quality assurance principles and processes to ensure the reliability of specialized test methods and test results;
• Knowledge of computer applications used for clinical diagnostic testing and processing technical data; as well as knowledge of PC software such as word-processing, databases and spreadsheet packages to prepare technical and administrative reports, e.g. volume of work, costs;
• Knowledge of group leadership techniques to control workflow, monitor work quality and provide guidance to staff;
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations that apply to the work, and knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the workplace to ensure compliance when performing group leadership responsibilities;
• Organizational skills to prioritize, assign and monitor work to ensure accurate and timely testing of specimens;
• Analytical and evaluative skills in order to set up product evaluations and analyze results and reach logical conclusions;
• Working knowledge and expertise in utilization of Bio-Rad QC data management software system;
• Knowledge of hepatitis and HIV testing algorithms including knowledge of relationships with and influence of external partners and stakeholders;
• Ability to work effectively and to maintain mental focus and acuity in a dynamic fast paced environment;
• Interpersonal skills to work as a member of a team in a fast paced and results focused environment, with a demonstrated ability to effectively and independently produce high quality.
|Education and Experience
||• This position requires registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) in Microbiology and/or Virology and in good standing with a certificate listed as: practicing.
• Education and training normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor of Science degree or medical laboratory technologist diploma. Advanced medical technologist registration (e.g. ART) would be an asset;
• Experience applying relevant laboratory diagnostic methods and biosafety procedures relevant to hepatitis/HIV serology and viral load assays in order to supervise an effective diagnostic/reference laboratory and provide guidance and consultation to staff, physicians, private laboratories and other health care professionals.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies of the position.
You should receive a response acknowledging your application to this position.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please continue to view our website for new career opportunities with the Public Health Ontario.