|Title / Titre
||Senior Management Consultant
Start Date: February 28, 2013
End Date: March 31, 2014
Our Edmonton client is seeking a Senior Management Consultant for this contract role.
The Legal Services Division of Alberta Justice and Solicitor General (“Division”) is responsible
for all civil legal services to the Government of Alberta. In order to track and report on the
services provided by the Division to other GoA Ministries, the Division requires the use of a
time recording and reporting application. Legal Services is currently using an aging legacy
solution for this purpose and is interested in looking into replacement options and learning more
about the feature sets available in the latest technology.
The purpose of this project is to assist the Division in leading an initiative to find a replacement
for their legacy legal time recording and reporting application. Primary services provided will
include management consulting services to assist in determining/documenting Divisional
requirements, assessing available options, providing recommendations and assisting in drafting
solicitation documents. Project management services will also be required to ensure the chosen
solution is installed, configured and implemented according to the Division’s requirements and
The successful Consultant’s resource will work under the direction of the Division’s Planning and
Operations Manager and work with a variety of other of the Division’s employees in determining
solution requirements. Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Develop a business case through a consultative approach with business sponsors and key stakeholders, identifying benefits and performance measure indicators.
- Lead the gathering, documenting and/or translation of high level and detailed business and functional requirements from a broad community of stakeholders, across the Division;
- Prepare and deliver presentations about initiatives or issues to the Division’s executives and staff, steering committees, project groups and other stakeholders.
- Provide quality assurance services throughout the business case development to ensure completeness and consistency of documentation.
- Identify risks associated with business cases and their implementation.
- Analyse gaps between requirements and available solutions, document results of analysis in appropriate format including business rules, workflow descriptions, data definitions, test plans and test cases.
- Present options and provide recommendations for a replacement solution, based on business case requirements and research of available solutions.
- Document initiative/project backgrounds, descriptions, environmental analyses, alternatives, impacts, risks, recommendations, implementation strategies, and approval processes.
- Assist the division with the creation and writing of solution solicitation documents.
- Work with project sponsors to develop a project organization structure with clearly defined roles and responsibilities for committees, teams and project team members and to ensure the roles are appropriately resourced for the project duration.
- Collaborate with business area and IT leadership to develop a well-defined project plan that clearly states the project’s objectives, scope, assumptions, timeline, resource requirements, risks, benefits and budget.
- Develop and execute a change management and communication plan for the entirety of the project.
- Lead regularly scheduled status meetings throughout the project life cycle. Document and report project status against established objectives, milestones, budget and resources.
- Facilitate closure of issues that cannot be resolved by project teams.
- Develop and maintain a project work schedule with activities, timelines, critical paths and resource requirements. Manage all activities against the project work schedule for the project duration. Review assigned tasks according to work plans with responsible team members.
- Closely monitor project status against the plan, identifying and managing variances via the project governance structure. Proactively monitor project progress and implement mechanisms, such as change control, to keep the project on track.
- Take responsibility for ongoing client satisfaction – manage peer-level client relationships (expectations, communications, negotiations, escalation, feedback, etc). Overcome hurdles including, conflicting interests, biases, and resistance to organizational change to ensure winwin solutions.
- Leading or assisting in the development, reviewing and updating of project deliverables, including but not limited to:
- Business requirements;
- Functional requirements;
- Technical requirements;
- Operational requirements;- Work Plans.
- In collaboration with project sponsors, assess whether the project achieved stated outcomes. Identify what changes can improve the implementation process and outcomeof future projects that are similar.
- Must have management consulting experience. +7 years
- Must have project management experience. +7 years
- Must have experience working within the public sector on procurement and IT related projects - 2 Projects
- Must have previous experience working within a legal environment and with legal professionals.
- Must be familiar with legal related technology/applications. Has worked with legal technology applications - 2 Projects
- Experience soliciting business requirements from business stakeholders and translating/summarizing these into appropriate documentation - 7 years
- Must have experience in drafting solicitation related documents e.g. RFP, RFQ, SOW etc. - 7 years
- Diploma or Certification in Project Management from an accredited institution - 2 years
- Has previous related work experience working with the implementation of legal time recording and reporting software.
- Previous related work experience working with document, record and case management systems.
- Diploma or Degree in Business Administration, or any field related to the Services to be provided, from an accredited institution.
- 5 years experience working within a team with minimal supervision and completing all work assignments on time according to schedule