Our Edmonton client requires Application Developers for upcoming projects
Application Developers provide leadership in the design, development, construction, testing, delivery, implementation and maintenance of information technology applications within Alberta Education / Advanced Education and Technology.
Application Developers ensure Ministry and Government standards and guidelines surrounding application development and Ministry / Branch policies and procedures relating to security and operation of client systems and databases are recognized and complied with while performing the following activities:
- Development and implementation activities associated with designated components of information technology projects.
- Assisting with preparation of project work plans and resource estimates (i.e. manpower, system processing, contract analysts, hardware and software, etc.).
- Investigating requirements and providing recommendations relating to technical resources required to meet client application needs (i.e. hardware, software, and network).
Application Developers may participate within a team environment to provide ongoing maintenance and enhancement of production information technology applications within the Ministry.
Application Developers ensure Ministry and Government standards and guidelines surrounding application maintenance and Ministry / Branch policies and procedures relating to security and operation of client systems and databases are recognized and complied with while performing the following activities:
- Developing and maintaining plans for the maintenance and enhancement of a variety of information technology applications of significant complexity.
- Developing, testing, and implementing changes to applications in an efficient, effective, and well-controlled manner.
- Responding to Ministry program or priority changes by adjusting plans, assignments, and schedules as required.
- Participating in analysis of client needs and preparation of functional requirements and application specifications.
- Participating in review and evaluation of information technology applications, and in the preparation of recommendations for clients.
- Providing support to clients as required for timely and reliable operation of all information technology applications.
- Providing production control services in an efficient, effective, and well-controlled manner.
Resources require the following skills:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to problem solve / troubleshoot
- Ability to work with minimum mentoring
- Ability to develop based on a documented Technical Detail Design
- Ability to work well both in a team setting and independently
- Ability to deal with clients and resolve related issues
- Ability to write and maintain technical documentation
- Ability to manage stress
Along with comprehensive knowledge of:
- enterprise and application architecture
- modular programming techniques
- systems analysis techniques
- relational databases
- web development techniques and tools
- networking and telecommunication technology
- Ministry and Government policies and standards relating to information technology applications and security
- relevant Acts and manuals relating to the processing of learner-related data (i.e. Post Secondary Learning Act, Apprenticeship and Industry Training Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act)
Responsibilities may include, depending on project assignment:
- Read and understand the technical design of assigned tasks and modules.
- Participate in the Technical Specification for any modules assigned.
- Identify any issues, concerns or pieces missing in the data or processing of assignment.
- Develop modules assigned.
- Ensure any modules developed will work in conjunction with the complete system.
- Ensure that all work performed follows Alberta Education and/or Advanced Education and Technology standards.
- Unit test each module constructed ensuring it is bug free.
- Support system and acceptance testing of modules ensuring they are bug free.
- Assist in the deployment and migration of software and web content to various locations throughout Alberta.
- Provide weekly status updates.
- Report to the team leads and the delivery project managers.
- Provide tracking of time and monthly reporting of time expended related to work undertaken on the project.
- Participate as needed in other assigned tasks, such as:
- Migration Plans
- Project Meetings
- Project Related Duties
Mandatory Experience/Skill Criteria:
- Experience developing or maintaining applications – One (1) year
- Current experience working in a Microsoft SQL Server environment – One (1) year
Desirable Experience/Skill Criteria:
- Experience using VB.Net
- Experience using C#
- Experience using .NET framework
- Experience using COM+, COM, DCOM
- Experience using Windows Communication Framework (WCF)
- Experience supporting .NET applications in a maintenance environment
- Experience developing and maintaining ASP.NET applications
- Experience with Microsoft Biztalk
- Experience with stored procedures and triggers
- Experience with unit testing, test-driven development and tools
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Experience with Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Experience with object-oriented design practices
- Experience with the Model-View-Presenter pattern as pertaining to ASP.NET web development
- Experience building custom ASP.NET user interface controls
- Experience in an environment with continuous integration (TFS Build, MSBuild or equivalents)
- Experience with iterative development paradigms
- Experience with LINQ
- Experience with .NET 3.5 or greater
- Familiarity with Microsoft’s 2008 futures offerings including ASP.NET MVC web development framework
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint development
- Experience with Umbraco web content management system
- Experience with modern interactive website design and development
- Experience integrating Google Search Appliance with applications
- Experience with Python
- Experience with XML/XSLT
- Experience developing and maintaining HTML/ASP applications
- Experience developing and maintaining in Visual Basic 6 applications
- Experience developing and maintaining mobile applications
- Experience developing and maintaining in Powerhouse applications
- Experience working in an Oracle Development Environment
- Experience working with a reporting toolkit (such as MS Reports, COGNOS, Crystal Reports)
- Experience with IBM Websphere DataStage ETL tool
- Experience in performing system analysis / technical analysis
- Experience in data modeling
- Experience in application design
- Experience in performing unit testing / system testing activities
- Experience developing conversion strategies/plans, scripts or data mapping
- Experience developing in a N-tier environment
- Experience with Documentum
- Experience with ASPOSE
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience with CRM
- Experience with Silverlight
- Experience with SQL Reporting Services
- Experience with Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Experience with MS Office Automation Document
- Experience in MSI-based deployments
- Experience in writing API documentation
- Experience with SharePoint Web Parts
- Experience with Visual Studio Tools for SharePoint (current version)
- Experience with SharePoint Collaboration tools (document libraries, calendar lists, announcement lists, custom lists, etc.)
- Experience with MS Dynamics CRM software .NET integration
- Experience working within an enterprise architected environment
- Experience with post-secondary education or education systems
- Experience with GAEA enterprise architecture framework
- Experience with AET’s LIFe/LIMS enterprise architecture framework
- Experience with COBIT
- Experience with ITIL