|Position Overview / Vue d’ensemble du poste
Our Edmonton client requires Application Developers for upcoming projects
Application Developers provide leadership in the design, development, construction, testing, delivery, implementation and maintenance of information technology applications within Alberta Education / Advanced Education and Technology.
Application Developers ensure Ministry and Government standards and guidelines surrounding application development and Ministry / Branch policies and procedures relating to security and operation of client systems and databases are recognized and complied with while performing the following activities:
- Development and implementation activities associated with designated components of information technology projects.
- Assisting with preparation of project work plans and resource estimates (i.e. manpower, system processing, contract analysts, hardware and software, etc.).
- Investigating requirements and providing recommendations relating to technical resources required to meet client application needs (i.e. hardware, software, and network).
Application Developers may participate within a team environment to provide ongoing maintenance and enhancement of production information technology applications within the Ministry.
Application Developers ensure Ministry and Government standards and guidelines surrounding application maintenance and Ministry / Branch policies and procedures relating to security and operation of client systems and databases are recognized and complied with while performing the following activities:
- Developing and maintaining plans for the maintenance and enhancement of a variety of information technology applications of significant complexity.
- Developing, testing, and implementing changes to applications in an efficient, effective, and well-controlled manner.
- Responding to Ministry program or priority changes by adjusting plans, assignments, and schedules as required.
- Participating in analysis of client needs and preparation of functional requirements and application specifications.
- Participating in review and evaluation of information technology applications, and in the preparation of recommendations for clients.
- Providing support to clients as required for timely and reliable operation of all information technology applications.
- Providing production control services in an efficient, effective, and well-controlled manner.
Resources require the following skills:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to problem solve / troubleshoot
- Ability to work with minimum mentoring
- Ability to develop based on a documented Technical Detail Design
- Ability to work well both in a team setting and independently
- Ability to deal with clients and resolve related issues
- Ability to write and maintain technical documentation
- Ability to manage stress
Along with comprehensive knowledge of:
- enterprise and application architecture
- modular programming techniques
- systems analysis techniques
- relational databases
- web development techniques and tools
- networking and telecommunication technology
- Ministry and Government policies and standards relating to information technology applications and security
- relevant Acts and manuals relating to the processing of learner-related data (i.e. Post Secondary Learning Act, Apprenticeship and Industry Training Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act)
Responsibilities may include, depending on project assignment:
- Read and understand the technical design of assigned tasks and modules.
- Participate in the Technical Specification for any modules assigned.
- Identify any issues, concerns or pieces missing in the data or processing of assignment.
- Develop modules assigned.
- Ensure any modules developed will work in conjunction with the complete system.
- Ensure that all work performed follows Alberta Education and/or Advanced Education and Technology standards.
- Unit test each module constructed ensuring it is bug free.
- Support system and acceptance testing of modules ensuring they are bug free.
- Assist in the deployment and migration of software and web content to various locations throughout Alberta.
- Provide weekly status updates.
- Report to the team leads and the delivery project managers.
- Provide tracking of time and monthly reporting of time expended related to work undertaken on the project.
- Participate as needed in other assigned tasks, such as:
- Migration Plans
- Project Meetings
- Project Related Duties
Mandatory Experience/Skill Criteria:
- Experience developing or maintaining applications – One (1) year
- Current experience working in a Microsoft SQL Server environment – One (1) year
Desirable Experience/Skill Criteria:
- Experience using VB.Net
- Experience using C#
- Experience using .NET framework
- Experience using COM+, COM, DCOM
- Experience using Windows Communication Framework (WCF)
- Experience supporting .NET applications in a maintenance environment
- Experience developing and maintaining ASP.NET applications
- Experience with Microsoft Biztalk
- Experience with stored procedures and triggers
- Experience with unit testing, test-driven development and tools
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Experience with Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Experience with object-oriented design practices
- Experience with the Model-View-Presenter pattern as pertaining to ASP.NET web development
- Experience building custom ASP.NET user interface controls
- Experience in an environment with continuous integration (TFS Build, MSBuild or equivalents)
- Experience with iterative development paradigms
- Experience with LINQ
- Experience with .NET 3.5 or greater
- Familiarity with Microsoft’s 2008 futures offerings including ASP.NET MVC web development framework
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint development
- Experience with Umbraco web content management system
- Experience with modern interactive website design and development
- Experience integrating Google Search Appliance with applications
- Experience with Python
- Experience with XML/XSLT
- Experience developing and maintaining HTML/ASP applications
- Experience developing and maintaining in Visual Basic 6 applications
- Experience developing and maintaining mobile applications
- Experience developing and maintaining in Powerhouse applications
- Experience working in an Oracle Development Environment
- Experience working with a reporting toolkit (such as MS Reports, COGNOS, Crystal Reports)
- Experience with IBM Websphere DataStage ETL tool
- Experience in performing system analysis / technical analysis
- Experience in data modeling
- Experience in application design
- Experience in performing unit testing / system testing activities
- Experience developing conversion strategies/plans, scripts or data mapping
- Experience developing in a N-tier environment
- Experience with Documentum
- Experience with ASPOSE
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience with CRM
- Experience with Silverlight
- Experience with SQL Reporting Services
- Experience with Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Experience with MS Office Automation Document
- Experience in MSI-based deployments
- Experience in writing API documentation
- Experience with SharePoint Web Parts
- Experience with Visual Studio Tools for SharePoint (current version)
- Experience with SharePoint Collaboration tools (document libraries, calendar lists, announcement lists, custom lists, etc.)
- Experience with MS Dynamics CRM software .NET integration
- Experience working within an enterprise architected environment
- Experience with post-secondary education or education systems
- Experience with GAEA enterprise architecture framework
- Experience with AET’s LIFe/LIMS enterprise architecture framework
- Experience with COBIT
- Experience with ITIL