Start Date: January 3, 2014 (or sooner)
End Date: March 31, 2014 (with the option, at the discretion of the client, of one 1 year extension to March 31, 2015)
Our Edmonton Government client is seeking 1 or more Acceptance Test Analysts for this short-term contract role.
Reporting indirectly to the Director of Business Technology and Operations, the successful candidate(s) will work under the direction and supervision of the Acceptance Testing Technical Team Lead to provide technical support to Test Coordinators and business testers. The successful candidate(s) will work within a blended team environment with both permanent and contracted resources within the department. The candidate(s) will receive direction from the Team Leader to deliver acceptance testing support for the on- going business needs of the clients.
The client is looking for individuals with strong technical and business applications testing, communication and interpersonal skills. The candidate(s) will provide daily acceptance testing operational and technical support for the Department’s business applications which runs on Windows and UNIX platform. The workload focuses more on INTEL-based application and technical support on UNIX–based application on an as-need basis. The resource(s) will be part of a team of test coordinators, business application testers and technical analysts to ensure that business rules are interpreted and implemented correctly in new and existing business applications. The resource(s) will be expected to work both independently and within designated teams. The successful candidates will also be involved in a wide range of tasks from test planning through implementation in a complex business and technical environment.
Business applications that reside on the Intel environment are written in Visual Basic, and .NET utilizing SQL Server, and use related Microsoft support products.
Supervisory duties are not required at this time, though the successful resource(s) may be responsible for providing direction on projects and/or tasks. Other tasks may include assisting team members in the scheduling, the test execution and the verification of test results. The resource will work with business application developers and production operations to manage business applications fixes and changes.
Responsibilities may include:
- Set-up, support and maintain multiple test environments, as required, to facilitate the testing of maintenance and new releases for client/server business applications;
- Set-up, schedule and execute batch jobs in requested environment;
- utilize, develop and maintain automated testing tools as required for use by business testers and Test Co-ordinators (i.e., specific forms and data entry editors);
- Provide support and maintenance of the automated testing tools utilized by the Acceptance Testing Team such as, but not limited to, Test Complete, Team Foundation Server (TFS), Hewlett Packard Quality Center (HPQC), SQL Agent and Autosys;
- Preparing test plans, defining the scope, objectives and schedules for testing business applications during the business application life cycle;
- Conduct the planning, execution, and evaluation of tests as directed/requested;
- Test and validate operational procedures, making recommendations for improvement;
- Ensure that testing standards and procedures are maintained within the group and within programs supplied by the business applications development group;
- Consult with acceptance testers, development analysts, business clients and other areas to identify testing requirements and schedules;
- Plan resource requirements and usage (i.e., test databases and scheduling) with the Team Lead;
- Provide on-call support for client/server business applications as required;
- Identify and document system-specific standards relating to program directories, file retention, and documentation related to the Acceptance Testing environments;
- Consult with business representatives to resolve issues and to clarify test requirements when necessary;
- Support and manage all phases of user acceptance testing;
- Experience providing technical support to large scale production business applications. (3 years or more experience in the last 5 years)
- Experience in a client-server environment comprised of various technologies and vendors working directly with database applications such as MS SQL or Sybase (3 years or more experience in the last 5 years)
- Experience with SQL query language. (3 year or more experience in the last 5 years)
- Experience with XML / XSLT. (2 years or more experience in the last 5 years)
- Experience with supporting all phases of testing. (2 years or more experience in the last 5 years)
- A minimum of 5 years combined related experience and education as stated below. Additional education and\or experience is preferred.
- Combined education and experience:
- A related university degree; or
- A two year diploma in computer technology from a recognized post- secondary institution and 3 years experience; or
- A related one year certificate from a recognized post-secondary institution and 4 years experience.
- Experience with identifying and communicating technical problems, processes and solutions. (3 years or more experience in the last 5 years)
- Experience with Microsoft Windows or UNIX Solaris operating systems user level and basic system administration (2 years or more experience in the past 5 years)
- Experience in maintenance, operations and/or development on Windows Business Applications using Access, Visual basic, .Net, Internet Information Server (IIS), SQL (2 years or more experience in the past 5 years)
- Experience preparing reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software. (2 years or more experience in the past 5 years)
- Experience in the use of automated test tools (2 years or more experience in the past 3 years)
- Experience with batch scheduling software. (2 years or more experience in the past 3 years)