Our Edmonton client in the Government of Alberta requires a Senior Server Analyst for this long term contract position.
Start Date: April 1, 2014
End Date: March 31, 2015 (with the possibility, at the discretion of the client, an additional 1 year extension with the same terms and conditions including pricing)
Our Government of Alberta client requires the services of a Senior Server Analyst with strong project management skills to supplement the operational support provided by the Server Operations Team for a wide range of ICT infrastructure operations and projects. Working in a highly complex, continually evolving and highly technical environment, the senior technical expertise provided by this resource pertaining to servers and operating systems in the Ministry iDomain is business critical, and contributes directly to the ICT Branch goal of providing Ministry employees, clients, and stakeholders with the capability to readily acquire, access, organize, share, protect, disseminate, and store the information required to successfully achieve their mandates, goals and business requirements.
The Senior Server Analyst requires an in-depth knowledge of ICT infrastructure(s) to plan, oversee, and continually enhance the servers and operating systems in the Ministry iDomain, which support applications used extensively by the Ministry, industry and the public. This position is required to take a comprehensive view of ICT applications and associated infrastructure requirements and understand complex relationships between Ministry systems and business processes. Decisions made by the Senior Server Analyst can potentially have significant impacts on the operations and success of Ministry programs and initiatives, given the accountability for ensuring the continuous and effective operation of server-related hardware and software.
The ability to quickly learn and support custom or specialized software is required.
Requirements may include some or all of the following, in accordance with service level agreements:
Excellent documentation skills for documenting guidelines, standards, policies, processes/procedures, practices, and current state of the infrastructure as it relates to the operational support of servers and the related technology environment for the ministry.
Strategic, tactical, and operational planning for servers and the related technology environment for the Ministry, including:
- Advise on recommended future state(s) and how to get there;
- General server and related technology environment hardware and software upgrade planning;
- Citrix related planning;
- Capacity planning;
- Disaster Recovery Planning (DRP).
Extensive experience understanding business requirements to ensure an appropriate solution is developed and is maintainable.
- Experience in server technology related project administration, with proven abilities to establish and meet planned project targets;
- Provide operational & project related Status Reports to the identified client representative, as requested by the client;
- Expert ability to develop and execute high-level server plans from design to implementation in a large-scale environment. Expert planning, "delivery" and support of networked servers for mid to large-scale environment;
- Plan and execute software and hardware upgrades;
- Track work and issues with BMC’s Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) software;
- Ensure proper information and workflow is maintained.
- Adhere to existing documented guidelines, standards, policies, processes/procedures, and practices, as it relates to the operational support of servers and the related technology environment for the ministry;
- Experience in architectural design of IT server infrastructure for large-scale Environments;
- Work with the ICT Server Operations Team Lead to coordinate all server and related technology related tasks such as, but not limited to:
- Provide system administration and maintenance for servers configured with Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 ensuring that availability, integrity & security is maintained;
- Install and maintain operating systems and associated infrastructure software;
- Maintenance and configuration of server monitoring software;
- Monitor and optimize server performance;
- Provide support as required to/for backups & recovery, application and data replication, and system upgrades (e.g. minor & major software patches, hardware upgrades, etc.);
- Perform problem diagnosis, analysis and resolution with hardware and software installations;
- Server services – File shares, IIS, WINS, DHCP, DNS;
- Provide Citrix Metaframe/XPe and XenApp6 support, diagnostics and maintenance including:
- Interfacing with ministry business units and application support/developers (including vendors) on server/technology related problems;
- Co-ordinate with ministry application analysts to ensure applications function correctly once published to Citrix.
- Basic understanding of applications database platforms and their interfaces – Oracle, Oracle WebLogic, Microsoft SQL, Oracle Forms, DB2, and IBM WebSphere.
Formal education or certification in Computing Science or Computer Systems/Technology is mandatory and Project Management training and experience, including a PMP designation, would be considered an asset.
- The proposed resource must have one of the 5 following combinations of education or certification and experience:
Demonstrated experience in the role of a Senior Server Analyst. 5 yearsExpert working knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems. 7 yearsComprehensive working knowledge of HP hardware and software (e.g., rack mounted and blade servers/accessories, SAN storage, disk and tape backup, backup and system monitoring software). 7 yearsComprehensive working knowledge of Citrix software. 7 yearsComprehensive working knowledge of VMWare software. 7 years
- University graduation in computer science or a related discipline plus 2 years of experience
- two-year diploma in computer science or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution plus 4 years of experience.
- a one-year certificate in computer science or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution plus 5 years of experience.
- a currently active professional certification or accreditation in a related discipline from a recognized issuing body plus 5 years experience
- no formal education or certification 8 years experience.
- Experience working the Government of Alberta computing environment . 3 years
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. 7 years
- Excellent planning and project management skills. 7 years
- Excellent documentation, communication and presentation skills.