Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this fabulous career opportunity and we'll walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
Mattamy Homes is Canada's largest new home builder and land developer, with operations across Canada and the United States. From a humble beginning in 1978, starting with the building and sale of a single home, Mattamy has gone on to build more than 50,000 homes in 150 integrated communities, and counting. In Canada, those communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa and Calgary, while in the United States, the company is represented in five metropolitan areas: Minneapolis, Charlotte, Phoenix, Jacksonville and Orlando. The scope of operations encompasses land acquisition, community design and development, housing and parkland design and construction with particular emphasis on creating communities of enduring value to residents.
Mattamy’s Mission is to provide the Best Homeowner Experience
Mattamy’s Core Values are Teamwork, Commitment, and Community
At Mattamy Homes the environment is engaging, exciting, rewarding, friendly and team-oriented. As employees of Mattamy, we truly believe in and are committed to the organization and have a passion for what we do, while continually striving to provide The Best Homeowner Experience.
In keeping with the Mattamy Mission of providing The Best Homeowner Experience, The Purchasing Manager is responsible for the overall negotiation of prices and delivery of products/services in a timely, cost effective manner in conformance with company policies, procedures and budgets. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Control, develop and produce approved budgets and proformas with input from appropriate internal departments.
- Tabulate and analyze tenders, negotiate costs/terms and award contracts.
- Negotiate the best price; analyze cost comparisons and differences in products and services on long term/short term contract agreements, while ensuring the correct amount of product or service is received at the appropriate time.
- Solicit bids and quotes from subcontractors/suppliers based on price, quality, service, support, reliability and union commitments.
- Participate in review, development and analysis of scopes of work aimed at quality control and standardization of equipment, materials, supplies and services.
- Study existing or new design drawings and keep abreast of changes impacting supply of materials in order to reassess budgets and amend forecasts.
- Develop and qualify new subcontractors/suppliers while maintaining and monitoring existing ones.
- Determine which subcontractors/suppliers will receive tender packages based on the master call list.
- Act as liaison between subcontractors, quality control, construction, marketing, customer service and land departments.
- Assess damaged and inferior products and negotiate returns for credit.
- Continually search for new products, materials and processes that will better suit the home market.
- Prepare quantity take-offs from working or design drawings for budgeting or tendering purposes.
- Participate in site visits in order to check performance of trades against scope of work/contract.
- Participates in analysis of drawings for value engineering opportunities and pricing thereof.
- Address and resolve issues involving trades and/or builders, as needed.
- Performs other duties as requested, in support of the purchasing department.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education and suitable work experience in the construction field.
- Several years progressive experience in the residential construction industry, estimating and purchasing.
Skills and Attributes
- Professional experience dealing ethically with people/situations/issues and ability to demonstrate what processes are applied in decision-making which reflect professionalism and integrity.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted purchasing principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of house building and construction material purchasing.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Excellent mathematical skills with the ability to analyze, look for trends and superior estimating skills.
- Prior experience in preparing and analyzing budgets.
- Experience in computerized environment for production planning, ordering, analysis etc.
- Superior computer skills in MS Office – in particular Excel. REMS knowledge an asset.
- Extremely well-organized, flexible, ability to prioritize workloads, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Understanding of the OBC, WSIB and Healthy & Safety regulations.
This role has many benefits including the opportunity to be a part of a values-based organization which provides a competitive compensation, benefits and relocation package. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Be a part of a major organization poised for growth, which has a track record of success and strong brand presence.
- Contribute to an award winning and innovative organization, recognized as a leader in the industry.
- Join a team of enthusiastic, passionate and committed employees, seeking challenge…just like you!
||Full Time Regular