One of the world’s most inspired architectural wineries, Mission Hill Family Estate Winery has an immediate opening for a Viticulturist, located in Oliver, BC. The Viticulturist contributes to the development and maintenance of viticulture programs for grape growing to support company objectives on yield and quality on specific acreages of company vineyards.
Mission Hill Family Estate Winery overlooks the 90 mile long Okanagan Valley, a 35 minute flight across the Cascade Mountains from Vancouver, British Columbia. The stunning region with virtually no rainfall is an arid desert with great diversity and micro-climates. A wide range of varietals including chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot gris, pinot noir, merlot and syrah prosper in the region. We are the major private vineyard owner in the region, with 27 distinct Estates.
The region first surprised the world in 1994 when Mission Hill won the Trophy for Best Chardonnay Worldwide in London at the International Wine & Spirit Competition. Since then, a tremendous investment has been made to produce Bordeaux style reds along with other varietals such as Pinot Noir and Syrah. (The 2007 icon Oculus red was awarded 95 points.) Just north of the growing regions of Washington State, the Okanagan Valleys surprising continental climate, with long, hot summer days, has proven to be more moderate than Washington, due to the enormous influence of the lakes. The history of the region is just being written and Mission Hill is a key author.
Based out of Oliver, British Columbia, the Viticulturist is a member of the Viticulture Technical team and contributes to the development and maintenance of viticulture programs for grape growing to support company objectives on yield and quality on specific acreages of company vineyards. Responsibilities include:
· Monitoring vineyards for pest and disease and provide spray programs
· Monitoring soil and vine status to determine fertilizer and compost programs
· Providing directional work orders for functions such as pruning, suckering, canopy management, shoot and cluster thinning to achieve yield and quality targets on a block by block basis
· Monitoring soil and/or vine status to develop irrigation programs to achieve target yield and irrigation profiles on a block by block basis
· Make recommendations on all growing practices and methods on existing and new vineyard developments
· Carry out field trials and cooperate with research organizations on industry research projects.
To be successful in this role, you will have a Degree in Viticulture, plant sciences or a related program. You bring 3-5 years proven experience growing grapes and proven knowledge in vineyard interventions including irrigation, nutrition, pruning, canopy management, and pest and disease management. You have experience using technology for capture and reporting (e.g., GPS data collection systems). You are organized, analytical and enjoy working as a part of a high functioning team.
Thank you for your interest in Mission Hill Family Estate winery!