If you are interested in this job please apply. Or, if you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this job to a friend.
ApplyTell A Friend
||Rocky View County
||County Manager (Chief Administrative Officer)
||Rocky View County creates a horseshoe around the City of Calgary, bordering the City on the East, North and West. A number of communities are located within the County. These include the City of Airdrie, several towns and hamlets as well a number of residential clusters.
Rocky View County is strategically located in the Calgary Edmonton corridor with Highway #2 running north and south and Highway #1 running east and west through the County. As well, both the Canadian National Railway and the Canadian Pacific Railway have major routes through the County.
Rocky View County has a Council of elected officials representing nine electoral divisions. The Council consists of a Reeve (elected by the Council) and eight Councilors. The next election is scheduled for October of 2013.
Rocky View has a population of approximately 37,000 and with its unique “urban-rural” blend and geographic location is likely to experience continued growth and development at above average rates. Accordingly, Rocky View County benefits from a diverse tax base and a responsible asset to debt ratio. It is challenged by the pressure for fast growth as well as the dynamics of urban and rural interface, the rate and types of development, and the residential, agricultural and industrial interface.
Recently the County has undertaken a business process review with the goal of streamlining activities and providing better customer service. This has had a very positive impact and work will continue in this regard. As well, significant progress has been made on key infrastructure components including construction of two new fire halls, new water treatment plants, construction of a infrastructure and operations building and continued work on maintaining and developing the 2400 kilometers of roads within the County.
During this past year a number of industrial developments have also taken place. These included; CN Logistics Park, Target plans for a distribution centre, BFI recycling facility and Fed Ex opening of a freight handle service centre.
The current strategic plan for the County is reaching the end of its life and a strategic planning process is about to get underway. The new County Manager will play a key role in developing the new strategic plan in a manner that the new Council will be able to embrace together with financial plans, budgets and performance measures that are aligned with the strategic plan.
Rocky View County employs approximately 270 full time employees in six core service avenues. For the operating year of 2013 the budget is expected to be balanced and will be just over $130,000,000. Priorities for the year are Financial Sustainability, Land Use Planning, Communications and Roads.
||The Position – County Manager (Chief Administrative Officer)
The County Manager (CAO) reports directly to the Reeve and Council and is the principal advisor to the Reeve and Council. Accordingly, the County Manager plays a leadership role in developing, implementing and moving the strategic plan forward ensuring the strategic initiatives, programs and services of the County are delivered in accordance with Council approved policies and plans. The County Manager also oversees operational and financial management and fosters a culture of service excellence and builds relationships with key stakeholders/interest groups, legislators, regional planning groups and neighbouring municipalities.
The position of County Manager is established under the Municipal Government Act of Alberta and is enacted by way of a bylaw of the County.
The new County Manager for Rocky View County will have a number of strategic and critical issues to focus on initially. These will include:
• Development of a new Strategic Plan
• Emergency Services planning
• Land Use Planning
• Continued commitment to fiscal responsibility and living within the means while balancing the many community needs and objectives as possible.
• Organizational development following the downsizing and establishing a positive, focused and healthy work environment
• Addressing the prospects of building a new administration building.
• Advancing utility servicing through the newly formed Aqueduct Utilities Corporation
Inherent to these key issues and responsibilities is the fostering of an environment of open communication (informing, listening, inclusion and participative), integrity and trust, and confidence with and between Council and staff.
The candidate we seek will have 5 to 10 years senior management experience ideally in a municipal or public sector organization. A Certified Local Government Managers designation or equivalent post-secondary education in public or business administration is also desirable. A good knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and other relevant legislation will compliment this background.
Experience should include:
• A positive track record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees, and public participation process.
• Adapting, developing and integrating, complex planning, policy and program initiatives.
• Proven experience in strategic planning, and organization development.
• Proven abilities to facilitate dispute and conflict resolution among vested interest groups.
This position will require the following key leadership competencies:
• Political Savvy encompassing the ability to work within a political environment with diverse stakeholder interests and groups.
• Strategically agile with ability to create compelling and breakthrough strategies and plans
• Business acumen, particularly as it relates to this sector.
• Stepping up to conflicts, finding common ground and hammer out solutions.
• Skill at directing others through clear communication and direction, distributing workload appropriately and maintaining dialogue.
• Planning the scope and objectives of tasks and projects, establishing process steps measuring progress and evaluating results.
In personal terms we are seeking a person who is open and approachable and demonstrates qualities of integrity and trustworthiness. Skill at handling paradox together with ability to work in an environment of ambiguity will be key attributes. A skilled communicator (written, presentation and interpersonally) will round out the attributes we seek.
||Our client provides a competitive compensation commensurate with the scope and challenge of this position. A comprehensive benefits program is also provided.
Relocation assistance will be provided as required.
To explore this career opportunity in confidence forward your resume to Ron Prokosch at:
300, 5 Richard Way. SW
Calgary, AB. T3E 7M8
Or visit our website at: www.lesp.ca