The Cities of Kitchener and Waterloo are committed to the inclusion of children and youth with disabilities in municipal summer recreation programs. Through the Every Kid Counts program children and youth with physical, developmental and/or emotional/behavioural needs receive support from inclusion facilitators to assist with their participation at municipal summer recreation programs.
Assists with the coordination of programs related to children and youth with physical, developmental and/or behavioural disabilities following established procedures and accommodation plans.
· Visits program sites to monitor program activities and ensures inclusion of children and youth with disabilities in programs.
· Provides ongoing support to summer program staff.
· Assists with matching staff with participants.
· Assists with the preparation of the inclusion facilitator training program.
· Ensures program policies and procedures are followed.
· Provides feedback to parents/caregivers.
· Completes forms and prepares reports as required.
· Provides staff support; gives feedback and addresses minor issues.
· Administers authorized medication to participants, noting details on appropriate forms.
· Acts as a backup to inclusion facilitators. Assists program participants with physical assistance and personal care as required.
· Provides first aid as required.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must have minimum Grade 12 diploma
· Must have a minimum 6 months of related experience
· Must have significant experience working with children and youth with disabilities
· Must have experience and skills in supporting staff including coaching, training development and mentoring
· Must have experience in program coordination and a high level of communication skills both verbally and in written form
· Must have current certification in Standard First Aid, CPR-C
· Must be willing to obtain a current and satisfactory police reference check – vulnerable sector
· It is recommended that vaccinations are updated and current for the period of employment
· Must have a class G driver’s license and access to a vehicle for the full duration of employment
· Will be required to enter the pool as part of the pool program participation.
· Ability to lift 35 pounds unassisted.
Employment Dates: May 20 – August 29, 2014
Hours a week: 35-40 hours/week
Hours of work: 8:30am – 4:30pm (hours vary)
Wage range: $14.47 per hour
Additional Information: No work July 1 and August 4. Some evening and weekend work required. Pre and post program hours required.
Conditions of Employment (December 2013)
1. As per Council Policy 11-110, “Employment of Relatives of Staff Members and Elected Officials”:
· Immediate relatives of staff of the human resources division, directors, general managers, the chief administrative officer and elected officials shall not be employed by the city in any capacity.
· Immediate relatives of all other management personnel shall not be employed within the same division (in the case of students).
2. Applicants must be a minimum of 15 years of age or over as of the first day of employment, unless otherwise specified.
3. Employment is conditional upon the provision of current certification in Standard First-aid (CPR, Level C) as well as the provision of a satisfactory and current Police Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector. A police reference check must be dated NO EARLIER THEN the job posting deadline. Any related costs are the sole responsibility of the applicant.
4. The selection of staff is based on a combination of application, resume review, and interview.
5. The City of Kitchener does not guarantee employment for any applicant or returning staff.
6. Employment is conditional upon; attendance at all training sessions, submission of required documentation/certification, adherence to the minimum age requirements and ability to meet the employment term.