Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Civilian Fire Safety Inspector
||Under the direction of the Chief Fire Prevention Officer and Assistant Chief Fire Prevention Officer, participates in the three general fire prevention areas of inspections, public safety education and fire incident evaluation to protect the life and health and safety of the citizens and employees of the City of Kitchener.
- Participates in fire prevention inspections, code enforcement, public relations and occupancy permits.
- Conducts fire and life safety inspections of residential, commercial and industrial occupancies.
- Evaluates, approves and enforces fire safety plans.
- Develops, delivers and evaluates public education programs.
- Responds to general enquiries from the public.
- Deals with general public and building owners/representatives regarding inspections due to complaints, routine request, and self-compliance.
Ensures enforcement of all applicable standards and legislation regarding life safety by laying appropriate charges and provision/offering of testimony during trials of offenders.
Participates in the delivery of Public Education activities to the general public regarding the fire code, inspections, code enforcement, and plans examination.
Answers inquiries from Fire Suppression Division regarding fire safety issues.
Coordinates the delivery of Fire Prevention Division activities with other allied emergency services agencies and the Ontario Fire Marshal representatives.
Prepares written information for court and appears in court to testify and provide evidence.
- Maintains professional currency and competency by attending training courses, meetings, and publications to keep up-to-date on repair and maintenance techniques and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be reliable with a good attitude and employment record.
- Must successfully complete a medical examination if required.
- Must have the ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Must have a Fire Prevention Officer Diploma or equivalency through other related post-secondary education and experience.
- Must have a minimum of two years related experience.
- Must have knowledge of fire regulations, relevant legislation and investigation procedures.
- Must have a valid class "G" driver's licence in good standing.
- Must have proven interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with the general public, building owner/representatives and other City departments regarding fire incident evaluations.
- Must have the ability to deal with difficult individuals, in a courteous and effective manner.
- Must be detailed oriented, with the ability to take clear and concise notes.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in English, both oral and written.
- Must be highly motivated, with excellent organizational skills and capable of assessing and setting effective individual work schedules to complete assigned tasks with little supervision.
- Must be capable of working independently and have an ability to analyze situations and problem solve with minimum supervision
- Must be committed to work in a team environment
- Must be willing to wear a uniform as supplied and maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times
- Preference will be given to applicants that have experience in the following areas: experience in reviewing and approving plans for compliance with relevant codes and standards; experience in conducting inspections and investigations; experience in public education.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and thank all applicants in advance. Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
||Full Time Permanent
|Hours of Work
||40 hours per week
|Posting Added Date
|Posting Closing Date
||$69,393 - $78,065 per annum (2011 rates)