Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Temporary Assistant City Solicitor (Up to 52 weeks)
||Reporting to and working with the Director of Legal Services and City Solicitor, the primary areas of focus are litigation and Community Services.
- Advocate before the courts and administrative tribunals on municipal related matters; insurance and risk management, construction liens and tax assessment appeals
- Act as a primary contact and provide legal advice pertaining to potential claim matters for all departments including Planning, Building, Engineering Divisions, Community Programming, Enterprises, Operations, Special Events, Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex, Arts and Culture, Kitchener Farmers Market
- Liason with outside counsel on litigation matters
- Provide general liability advice and act as a resource for Risk Management
- Provide advice and reports to Council and Committess and draft by-laws, policies and special legislation as required
- Draft a wide variety of business agreements for Community Services Department including consulting, , use of facilities, building, loan agreements, golf agreements, program registration agreements, as well as waivers
- Complete General Business Agreements including leases, community loans and community grants.
- Respond to general legal matters for Kitchener Utilities, KPL Facilities, Copyright/trademark matters and Trespass issues.
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Must have an undergraduate degree and a Bachelors of Laws (L.B) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) and be called to the Bar of Ontario after finishing the prescribed articling period.
- Must have minimum of 4 years relevant related experience
- Must be a member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Must have a thorough understanding of changing laws, regulations, policies and procedures governing the City, the courts and administrative tribunals
- Must have previous experience in litigation, drafting and negotiating agreements and dealing with planning issues
- Must be able to work independently with minimal guidance
- Must have integrity and sound judgement
- Must have ability to develop positive working relationships and be an effective team player
- Must have excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to manage tight deadlines
- Must have strong computer, analytical and problem solving skills
- Must have strong research skills
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be reliable with good attitude and employment record
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous municipal experience or comparable background and experience
||Full Time Temporary
|Posting Added Date
|Posting Closing Date
|Posting Closing Time
||$88, 597 - $110, 747 per annum.