Click Apply Now if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
BFI Constructors Ltd. (BFI) supplies labour consisting of superintendents, foremen and various tradespeople to large industrial and heavy civil construction projects across Western Canada. Projects BFI works on include oil refineries, potash and hard-rock mines, power generating stations, pumping stations, electricity transmission lines, petrochemical plants, and oil sands facilities.
BFI’s key strengths are extensive experience, a long track record of productive labour relations, proven negotiating skills, a high-quality workforce, an experienced management team and a superb safety track record over many years of operation.
Boundary Dam Power Station
- 12 Journeyman Ironworkes - Bolt up and Impacting
Shift Schedule: 5 days/week, 10 hours/day
Start Time: 7:00AM
Duration: Approximately 6 months
||BFI - Journeyman Ironworker
Main dutiesIronworkers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints and specifications to lay out work
- Unload and position steel units so each piece can be hoisted as needed
- Erect and install scaffolding, hoisting equipment and rigging
- Signal crane operator to position steel units according to blueprints
- Align and weld or bolt steel units in place
- Erect structural and architectural precast concrete components for buildings, bridges, towers and other structures
- Assemble and erect prefabricated metal structures
- Position and secure steel bars or metal mesh in concrete forms to reinforce concrete structures
- Install ornamental and other structural metalwork such as curtain walls, metal stairways, railings and power doors
- Examine structures and equipment for deterioration, defects or non-compliance with specifications
- May dismantle structures and equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or Over three years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in ironworking are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for ironworker (generalist) is compulsory in Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia.
- Trade certification for ironworker (reinforcing) is compulsory in Quebec and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
- Trade certification for ironworker (structural/ornamental) is compulsory in Alberta and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
- Trade certification for ironworker (metal building systems erector) is compulsory in Alberta.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified ironworkers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.