||Chair, School of Apprenticeship and Skilled Trades
||Centre for Construction & Engineering Technologies
Reporting to the Dean, Centre for Construction and Engineering Technologies, the Chair, School of Apprenticeship and Skilled Trades provides academic and administrative leadership including supervision and direction to faculty, staff and students for 7 full-time programs: Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technician and Technology, Building Renovation Technician and Technology, Construction Trades Techniques, Plumbing Techniques, Electrical Technics and; 9 apprenticeships: General Carpenter, Construction & Maintenance Electrician, Construction Millwright, Industrial Mechanic (Millwright), Plumber, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic, Residential Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic, Sheet Metal Worker Apprentice, Steamfitter Apprentice.
The incumbent is responsible for overall administration of academic programs including planning, development, delivery and on-going review of programs and service operations; providing leadership and management of academic policies, practices and appeals; and ensuring that programs are aligned to meet student and industry needs, partnership expectations and George Brown College’s key strategic objectives. The incumbent:
- Works collaboratively as part of the Centre’s administrative team in the development and implementation of programming and services including applied research and internationalization; ensures academic program development, planning and review is on-going and meets the needs of stakeholders and that the objectives of the programs and courses offered by the Schools are met through effective management of the teaching and learning processes. Examples of ongoing objectives/recommendations to be met include KPI (Key Performance Indicators) goals/objectives, program review recommendations, Ministry standards and professional regulations.
- Aligns departmental initiatives with college strategic plans and Ministry of Education and Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities requirements and is responsible for any new program development and implementation.
- Participates in program review/curriculum review processes of the Schools’ programs.
- Provides leadership to and manages all full and non-full time faculty.
- Contributes to student success initiatives such as orientation, student services, student recognition and develops strategies for student success/recognition.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the Centre for Construction and Engineering Technologies’ budget. Proactively seeks to attract new sources of revenue and/or profile for the department.
- Liaises with Continuing Education to ensure coordination of facilities and as appropriate, programs.
- Provides human resources leadership through effective recruitment, development, evaluation and training of faculty and support staff and is responsible for faculty orientation and integration of new hires into the School.
- Oversees the academic administrative processes associated with scheduling, grade submissions and timetables and manages the administrative processes associated with faculty workload.
- Administers the College’s academic policies and appeals process, ensures that student service representatives are fully informed on programs, and investigates any disputes involving faculty, staff and students within the Schools.
- Provides leadership in the context of the college’s collective agreements and related college policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with the Dean in developing recommendations for short-term and long-term enrolment targets and provides input to the development of the annual budget; takes corrective action throughout the year to achieve contribution margin targets for the School.
- Provides leadership for the college around Apprenticeship and is the main college contact with the Ministry.
- Participates in other program related projects and/or committees as assigned and oversees Schools’ Program Advisory Committees (PACs) and maintains relationships with relevant external partners and organizations such as universities.
- Ensure the maintenance and currency of all shops, labs and associated equipment for the above programs.
- Minimum 4 year degree from an accredited educational institution recognized by the College in a relevant discipline or equivalent; Certificate of Qualification - Journeyperson designation.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in managing staff, providing proactive leadership, innovation, management and business planning.
- Breadth of experience in the Skilled Trades - with at least 5 years of experience as a journeyperson in a skilled trade.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and foster a collegial, collaborative environment, effective problem solving, conflict resolution skills, decision-making and negotiation skills.
- Learner-centered approach to the teaching and learning process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (oral & written); demonstrated effective marketing and presentation skills.
- Strong networking and relationship building skills to develop alliances with industry partners.
- Applied knowledge of adult education principles with demonstrated curriculum development and program/course planning skills.
- Experienced in budget management.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership and team building skills in a unionized academic environment with a diverse student and staff population.
Please submit a covering letter and resume combined in one (1) document.
George Brown College is dedicated to employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities and aboriginal peoples. George Brown College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources representative responsible for the recruitment for this position will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
||Now Posted Externally Until Filled