||Accounting Assistant (Head Office Location)
Career wheels spinning but getting nowhere? Put yourself in the driver’s seat and get some traction with Fountain Tire!
With over 50 years of experience in the tire and mechanical service industry, we know what we’re doing and we do it well! Our longstanding success is because of the people that have chosen a career with us.
As part of the Cash Management Accounting team located in our Edmonton Head Office, the Accounting Assistant will support the completion of accurate and timely monthly financial statements by performing various account reconciliations and investigations and ensuring all entries are recorded in the proper periods.
Specifically, the Accounting Assistant will:
- Assist in the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in the review and recommendation of accounting processes and control improvements with a focus on building efficiency and effectiveness.
- On a monthly basis conduct the proper analysis, prepare and record the necessary entries to ensure that:
- The prior month’s bank reconciliations for all bank accounts are prepared and balanced with the general ledger by the specified deadline.
- The prior month’s commodity tax filings are prepared and filed; including settlement by to the applicable deadline.
- The prior months account payable vendor account maintenance for the assigned accounts are completed by the applicable deadline.
- Month end is accurately completed by specified deadlines; including the completion of all items on the month end checklist which are assigned to you.
- On a quarterly basis assist in the resolution of outstanding commodity tax refunds identified; including recording the necessary entries in the proper period.
- Address queries from CRA, Ministries of Finance, Vendors and all Fountain Tire associates in a timely fashion, and ensure resolution.
- Process all marketing and pooled funds accounting, including tracking and reporting.
- Complete assigned year-end tasks by the specified deadlines.
- Maintain strong relationships between all departments and areas within the company.
- Ensure compliance with query management and communications policies.
- Ensure journal entries are processed in accordance with the current policy.
- Assist in training accounting team members.
- Participate in all safety initiatives, as required or assigned, to guarantee safety at Fountain Tire.
- Participate in special projects and perform other related duties as assigned.
To succeed in this role, the following knowledge, skills, experience and aptitude is required:
- College diploma with a major in accounting with one year of experience in accounts payable in an office setting; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of accounting as it relates to the functions of cash management.
- Working knowledge of commodity taxes and bank reconciliations.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism when dealing with financial information.
- Proven communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external associates, and to work with a variety of people in a team environment.
- Organizational and time management skills in order to effectively manage multiple priorities and competing demands within tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated analytical skills with an attention to detail in order to research and escalate issues.
- Ability to recognize opportunities for improvement and efficiency.
- A willingness to learn.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Microsoft Dynamics AX and other Financial Reporting software (FRX, Targit, Forecaster, TaxPrep) would be considered a definite asset.
At Fountain Tire, you’d have a great place to work—competitive compensation, a manager with a large support network, and the chance to learn and grow.