The Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre is a newly merged hospital serving Mississauga, West Toronto and the surrounding communities. It is one of Ontario’s largest community-based academic health networks and has a teaching affiliation with the Mississauga Academy of Medicine at the University of Toronto Mississauga.
Reporting to the Director of Professional Practice, the successful candidate will lead the Skin & Wound and Ostomy Team at The Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre. They will work within the portfolio of Professional Practice to build capacity for delivery of excellent wound/skin and ostomy care within the organization. In addition, the role involves collaboration with other skin, wound and ostomy team members to integrate development, implementation and evaluation of strategies and programs to enhance care of patients with skin, wound and ostomy care needs. The successful candidate will lead the program development of the newly merged organization.
· Provides leadership in the distribution of clinical support among all sites.
· Provides clinical support to staff, implements and evaluates strategies to increase learning and ongoing development of the clinical and professional practice of staff at all sites
· Provides clinical support of complex wounds and ostomy care.
· Works with Clinical Educators at all sites to facilitate competency of staff providing ostomy and wound care.
· Acts as a resource person for staff regarding assessment of in-patient needs and evaluation of patient care management issues as they relate to skin, wound and ostomy care.
· Identifies learning needs of patients and their families and, in collaboration with the interprofessional team members, plans, implements and evaluates instructional programs for patients and their caregivers; and provides individualized care plans as needed for patient/caregivers.
· Organizes and participates in hospital-wide prevalence studies on an semi-annual basis
· Leader within the hospital-wide, multi-site skin and wound committee
· In collaboration with the surgeons, provides pre-operative and post-operative counselling to patients and families requiring ostomy surgery.
· Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario as an RN or RN (EC).
· Current Basic Cardiac Life Support certificate
· Masters Degree in Nursing required
· Graduate of recognized Enterostomal Therapy Program and/optional would be additional education through a recognized Wound Care Program
· Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated current expertise in wound, skin and ostomy care and management.
· Demonstrated excellence in both ostomy and wound/skin care nursing specialties
· Demonstrated effective leadership skills
· Effective interpersonal communication skills and ability to establish positive relationships with all staff, clients, families, and community agencies
· Demonstrated experience and proficiency in the provision of clinical consultation to patients and/or family members for complex skin/wound and ostomy care concerns.
· Demonstrated ability in educational program development, research utilization, adult education and professional development
· Demonstrated experience creating capacity among staff nurses and other inter-professional team members for providing excellence in wound/skin and ostomy care as well as evaluation of care.
· Membership and active participation in professional nursing and other related organizations
· Experience with research methodology required with program planning, implementation and evaluation skills a definite asset
· Membership in the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario preferred
· National certification in chosen specialty from the Canadian Nurses Association preferred
· Canadian Association of Wound Care membership preferred
· Satisfactory performance and attendance required
To pursue this career opportunity, please visit our website: www.cvh.on.ca
Otherwise, please submit a completed Internal Career Opportunity Application form to the Human Resources Department by 1630 hours of the expiry date. Please indicate the HRD (Personnel Requisition Number) of the position you are applying to on the application form.