Trillium Health Partners is a newly merged hospital serving Mississauga, West Toronto and the surrounding communities. It is one of Ontario’s largest community-based academic health networks and has a teaching affiliation with the Mississauga Academy of Medicine at the University of Toronto Mississauga.
||Healthcare and Medical Services
||Director - Medical Education
JOB PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
This leadership position supports the Vice President of Medical Education and Chief of Staff through a role of planning, coordination and implementation of undergraduate and post graduate education at Trililum Health Partners. The Director, Medical Education supports strategic initiatives by working closely with all level of stakeholders, including Administration, Physicians, Educators, colleague Directors, the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto and the University of Toronto at Mississauga. This position will report to the Vice-President Medical Education with a dotted line reporting to the Chief of Medical Staff.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Works across all locations of Trillium Health Partners to support the Vice President Medical Education and fulfill a range of key responsibilities including:
- Strategic and tactical planning, development, coordination and evaluation of the Medical Education Office
- Assists in the development of the education agenda for undergraduate and post graduate students ;
- Identifies consistent performance targets and metrics to be used to measure, evaluate and improve educational outcomes;
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to guide all levels of medical education;
- Monitors faculty and student satisfaction survey scores and develops strategic plans aimed to improve satisfaction;
- Supports, advises and evaluates Faculty of Medicine policies that impact students and teaching in Mississauga;
- Assists in the development of the annual budget for the Medical Education Office;
- Is the hospital point of contact for the Family Medicine Teaching Units;
- Supports the THP Library services;
- Monitors the operational budget to ensure successful achievement of all financial goals and objectives;
- Supports and monitors redevelopment across all locations to ensure facilities support the education programs;
- Establishes and maintains effective partnerships with the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto, University of Toronto Mississauga, and Faculties of Medicine at other Universities;
- Supports and implements a conducive environment to continuous quality improvement in medical education within the hospital’s mandate;
- Assists in the planning, development and implementation of undergraduate and post graduate medical education programs;
- Designs, implements and evaluates remuneration programs for clinical teachers;
- Develops a tracking system to ensure the accurate recording of Medical Trainee Days;
- Supports the orientation process for the medical learner;
- Provides input related to faculty promotion;
- Assists in the promotion of interprofessional education programs;
- Works with multidisciplinary clinical teams to share information and receive appropriate input for the hospitals and the Academy to base key decisions upon.
Knowledge & Experience
- Masters Degree in Administration or a health related discipline required
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in a progressive formal leadership position with strong general management and a proven track record of innovation and achievements essential
- Experience working in an academic environment or an academic health center environment
- Experience in establishing new programs, services and/or departments in complex, integrated and collaborative environments
- Understanding of medical education and physician roles/responsibilities in academic environment
- Understanding of healthcare integration
Skills and Abilities
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Well developed leadership and management skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Strong, well developed business management skills (strategic planning, business case proposals, budgeting, resource allocation/utilization and analysis)
- Strong conceptual skills and systems thinking
- Strong Marketing, business proposal writing and presentation skills are essential
- The ability to function effectively during periods of rapid change and transition
- Demonstrated ability to enhance leadership development in others and building strong team relationships
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with senior management, internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to link operational practices to business strategies
Internal candidates who believe they possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position and who have been in their current position for at least six (6) months are encouraged to apply.
Trillium Health Partners is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with applicable legislation, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, as well as the organizations policies and procedures. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Trillium Health Partners is identified under the French Language Act.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted